Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert on Sexual Identity and Union with Christ by Rosaria Champagne ButterfieldAs usual, Rosaria Butterfield's writing is very enjoyable. Her first book, The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert, was one of my favorite books the year I read it (for her writing style and the thoughts she prompted). But I didn't enjoy this one as much. This book was a lot more of her personal experience and understanding of her "union with Christ". I must admit there is much I didn't agree with in it as she is loudly calvinist in her belief system.
Having said that, there were still several things I liked about the book, which made it worth reading in my estimation.
1) I really appreciate her intellectualism, especially as she analyzes the current LGBT movement. I think she is very astute in her dialogue about how christians should interact with people experiencing same-sex attraction, particularly christians who struggle with unwanted attraction. I like the care she takes with words--words have meaning!--as we navigate the culture around us. I also really appreciate her understanding of worldview--both the Freud/Marx/Darwin-influenced worldview and theistic worldview. For example, her examination of the origin of the concept of "sexual orientation" was fascinating, enlightening, and a little sickening as I realize how thoroughly the worldview has infiltrated our culture. I like the way she took an intellectual approach to the Bible reading it through multiple times, analyzing the literary genres, its canonicity, etc. as she dissected its claims and finally couldn't deny its Truth.
2) I was fascinated at her examination of root causes for the sin of homosexuality, particularly her assertion that homosexuality, as all sin, is rooted in pride and our desire to put ourselves on the throne rather than submitting to God.
3) She had some really interesting analysis of the difference between admitting sin and confessing sin, and also great discussions of repentance and the difference between being tempted and sinning.
4) I think my favorite chapter was the one entitled community, as she expounds on what biblical hospitality is and the community we should be building in our homes and with our church family. She has many good thoughts in this area and paints a beautiful picture of a community where everyone has a place and belongs, no one is lonely, people are able to share their struggles and temptations, and God is glorified.
I liked her first book a lot better, but there were some good points to ponder in this one as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!