The Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsI give The Girl on the Train two stars for "it was ok". It had some interesting points, but I wasn't crazy about the way the narrator kept jumping back and forth between two people (and then in popped a third!). Some people can do this well (Hello Barbara Kingsolver) but many simply can't.
I also wasn't crazy about the lack of hope in the book. Alcoholism, adultery, depression, and murder were the themes of the story. It's good for me to read something like this every once in a while, to be reminded of what many people's lives are like without accepting the hope Christ offers, but I can't say I enjoy the trip.
I wanted to love this book--Kristy loved this book. And it was quite clever, particularly its references to historical events and "classics" such as Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayre mysteries.
But it was really slow and hard to get into. Once I had invested enough to figure out what was going on and who the characters were, I determined to finish the book so as not to have wasted that time, but it was more of a chore than a joy.
But it was really slow and hard to get into. Once I had invested enough to figure out what was going on and who the characters were, I determined to finish the book so as not to have wasted that time, but it was more of a chore than a joy.

I'm not too surprised you didn't enjoy To Say Nothing of the Dog, as it reminded me a bit of Jasper Fforde's work- information that probably would have been helpful to you before... um, whoops!
ReplyDeleteI haven't read The Girl on the Train, but I know everyone was talking about it for awhile there. I've debated whether or not I wanted to make time for it, and now I'm thinking probably not. Too many other great books to try and get to on my never-ending list!