Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Wish I Was Shocked

Do you ever see something happen, and it's shocking, but you just aren't shocked because you half expected it and aren't surprised it would happen? Does that qualify as cynicism?

That's how I felt today when I saw that a professing christian got married for the third time after publicly stating that his second divorce was unscriptural--and one of his elders officiated the ceremony.

It's just no wonder that the world looks askance at "christians" when they act like that. We would expect something like that from people of the world, but God has higher standards for us when we commit to live our lives for him.

I'm trying to shake it off, but it just makes me sick and sad and frustrated. We aren't supposed to look exactly like the people around us--we are supposed to be peculiar and live in such a way that people ask us for the reason of the hope that is within us. We all have our struggles, but that one is just such blatant, public disregard for God's plan. I guess I just keep learning. . .

5 comments:

  1. yes it is frustrating!
    it's so frustrating when i realize (and i have so many times!) how i've messed up and how it's fuzzed-up my testimony and how many people have i caused to question - the feelings and guilt and frustration and everything that has to be worked through to get over it and above it and not do it again is so much work - then i feel like these things, that you speak of, happen and they cut me back off at my knees!!! and then how many people have turned away and formed an even more solid opinion of "christians" and vowing not to be one. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think this is one of the reasons why jared is "skittish" of becoming a christian. he often makes remarks about others proclaiming they are a christian when they are doing something unchristian like.

    btw, this live feed thing is cool. i still haven't quite figured out how to get it on my blog. i do think it is weird how it says different places when i look on. and how does it know it is me when i haven't signed in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand. On one hand we are all hypocrites, we all sin. On the other... it would floor me to see the Church condone it. I was just thinking today how many Churches are starting to focus JUST on keeping peace and are stopping standing up in love against sin (too controversial). Not everyone, but it just seems to be happening more and more...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very sad! Such a dark spot on the church, Christ's pure and holy bride.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!