Have you ever wondered what your 13-year-old self would think of who you are today?
While reading Passionate Housewives Desperate for God the other day, I came across this sentence: "This was not what I'd imagined my life would be like back when I was a carefree 17-year-old, traveling by my father's side and eagerly filling journal pages with my reflections, dreaming of my future life as a wife and mother" (pg 143).
It made me think of movies like 'The Kid' and '13 Going on 30'. The premise of the first movie was Bruce Willis's character meeting his younger self who was shocked that at his age he was neither married, nor had a dog, and was basically a big loser (albeit a rich and successful man by the world's standards). And in the second movie, the teen girl wakes up one morning as an adult to find she is gorgeous, popular, and successful beyond her wildest dreams. . .then realizes it was gained at the expense of true friends and her integrity.
So, what would the 8th grade Shonya think of me now? I wonder. . .she might think I'm a little weird, that I have a good-looking husband. . .giggle. I have to admit my priorities and thoughts have changed a lot since then, but I truly think it's been for the better. I'm not who I thought I would be in a lot of ways, for sure. What would your middle school self think of you now?
What a fun reflection. I think my middle school self would be pretty happy with who I am. I don't know that I ever pictured what I thought I would be as an adult when I was a kid. (Probably why I'm almost 30 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.) When people would ask me that question I would always answer "Happy". I'm fulfilling that wish so I guess that means I'm success.
ReplyDeletei love how you look at things. i think my 13 year old self would be wondering why i haven't gone to college! what i wanted to be when i grew up was a teacher. i think i would be shocked, excited and disappointed at myself. shocked at where i am at b/c this job is something i would have never guessed i would be doing, excited about how great of a husband and kids i have and disappointed b/c of getting prego before getting married. but on the other hand, i think that is what has made jared and i perfect for each other. there are reasons for everything, right? thanks for letting me go back for a little bit:)
ReplyDelete