Phew, I'm tired, but it was a good day. We usually start school after the 4th of July, in a fun, low-key, "take a day off whenever there's something else to do" kind of way. We gradually add more subjects until we are 'full load'. Well, today was full load. The MOTH schedule is officially complete and revamped, all subjects are in place, and school takes precedence over optional, fun activities.
I get a little crazy this time of year, especially when I realize at such late notice that the year is not going to go as originally planned. I was fully expecting to start Briana and Destry in a formal Spanish class and planned to study the Renaissance, Reformation, and Explorers in history this year. The Spanish class didn't work out, but a Civics class was being offered within our homeschool support group. I had originally thought to wait a year or two on this class, but considering all the recent political events and various situations that have been plopped into my life. . .it just seems like a good time to study civics! (Can I insert here that I don't remember ever studying 'civics' in my 17 years of formal education?! I am excited to sit in on the class with my children--I think I need to know this stuff even more than they do!)
So, that said, I've been scrambling and pulling together different supplementary resources than I had meticulously researched, planned, accumulated, paid for. And my most exciting resource for civics came in the mail today!!! Hurray! I couldn't put the silly book down today. It has biographies of the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence, at the risk of their own lives, along with character traits these men exhibited. It is a fascinating read. My second favorite resource is a study of court cases which encourages critical thinking to determine how the Bill of Rights applies to the cases. I think it's going to be a fun and interesting year for this momma who is in the process of getting her head out of the sand regarding the freedoms we take for granted in this country.
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know what it is today, nor what it is trying to do. We are trying to do a futile thing if we do not know where we have come from, or what we have been about." --Woodrow Wilson
I'm trying to educate myself and my children about where we have come from and what we have been about so we don't perish for a lack of vision!
And speaking of vision, I had an excellent shot in the arm from a homeschooling mom of several children regarding what to do with my little ones during the homeschooling day and have implemented a 30-minute daily Bible story time. Today we read the story of Joseph. Easton is such a smart little guy--I love to watch his eyes move off to the side and lose focus as he is listening, thinking, and learning. As I talked about the brothers plotting against Joseph, he suddenly shouted out "They put blood on his coat!" Ah, the sweet, sweet sound of learning taking place--he knows this story!
Yes, it was a good day, indeed.
I love hearing about home school! I know what you mean about being SO excited a curriculum/book finally came in the mail! LOL...we are studying Africa/Ethiopia and of course that means that I ordered a TON of stuff and needed it to pull everything together...:). It's SOOO fun though! Glad everything is coming together!!!!
ReplyDeleteI can just see you pouring over that book as soon as it came in the mail. That is...after you finished haunting the mailbox until it came. Glad you're excited to get this year "rolling." Hope you enjoy it!
ReplyDelete