Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Hairy Journey

You know, I just don't feel like I have much experience with my daughter's hair yet to share with anyone else, but I have some funny stories (mishaps), a few successes, and have benefited greatly from advice from others, so I thought I'd chronicle some of our experiences with her hair these last few months.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a lot of good pictures of her in her Zulu knots (otherwise known as Bantu knots), but I think they are really cute, relatively quick and easy, and they last pretty well, so she wears them at least once every other month.
A very popular style this summer was the 'three braids' look. I love this style. First of all, it's very quick and easy. I just part her hair by making a 'Y' upside down from her right temple, then make three ponytails and braid them. I think it is an adorable, young look.

There is also, of course, the ubiquitous 'puff' look, which can be translated as 'Mom didn't take the time to 'really' fix my hair today!' I think she still pulls it off well, esp with a couple spiral curls hanging out of the pony.
Then there are the cornrows. . .sigh, I wonder if I'll EVER master this! This was my second try, which was an improvement over my first try, but still. . .
It looks darling when other people do it, but I still need LOTS of practice! Any volunteers to sit still for an hour or so and let me practice?! smile I took pity on her this day and just did a 'partial' cornrow and left the back curly.
My older daughter was willing to let me practice on her, but I'm not sure I did any better with her long, straight hair! I ended up accidentally braiding the bottom as I was too lazy to pull each strand clear through as I was braiding the top. And finally, (drum roll), here is our most recent hairstyle courtesy of tutoring from my blogging friend Sarah. We just divided her hair into sections, braided and used Sarah's fun technique to string the beads on the ends. Kiana loves the beads, and constantly shakes her head back and forth to hear the clinking sound.
It's so amazing how long her hair is when it's braided. It's not real thick, which I imagine it will get thicker as she gets older (she's only two after all!), so there are only ten braids at this point.
I really like this style, so thank you very much for sharing your experience, Sarah! What shall we try next?!

6 comments:

  1. oh you do great!!! i think my favorite is the pony puff! seriously! with the curls hanging down! adorable! she looks so grown up too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you are doing very well. i wouldn't even be able to do the braids. for some reason my boys won't sit still long enough for me to practice braiding theirs:) you will have it mastered in no time. keep up the good work on your beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu're doing fantastic....and it gets better with time. I keep both my girls hair in flat twists (easier on the fingers and time than braids).
    Your little one is a real cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cornrows look great to me. A lot of gals just go get those professionally done, so I'd say you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her braids look great! I haven't been brave enough to try cornrows yet, but I'd really like to do them. We did have a friend put them in once, and it was so nice. Your daughter's hair is so long! Let me tell you one thing NOT to try with her hair. Once I put Zahana's hair in several puffballs and connected them all with one long yellow ribbon. It was really cute. When I took the ribbon out after a few days, big chunks of hair came out with it. Apparently where the ribbon was pulled tight between the puffballs, it acted like a saw and just cut the hair right off. That was bad. But now I know. Anyway, looks like you're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's a doll baby. I think you're doing a great job with her hair!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!