Monday, January 17, 2011

A Fresh Perspective

I love how a comment can make me look at a concept in a fresh new way.

"If we think about the fruit of the Spirit revealing the presence of God in our lives, wouldn't it also be true that if the opposites are evident, we are quenching the Spirit and not allowing God to work in our lives?" asked a sister in our Bible study yesterday.

This prompted a fresh examination of Galatians chapter five for me in my Bible study today. I reviewed the fruit of the Spirit, considered the opposites, and examined myself. I thought someone else might also benefit from this fresh perspective that has helped me as we strive to be led by the Spirit and to walk by the Spirit.

LOVE
  • hatefulness, criticism, indifference, selfishness, jealousy
JOY
  • sadness, unhappiness, discouragement, discontentment
PEACE
  • anxiety, stress, worry, fearful or strife, dissension
PATIENCE
  • impatience, irritation, frustration
KINDNESS
  • meanness, cruelty, inconsideration, insensitivity
GOODNESS
  • evil, association with things/people of bad reputation, gaining pleasure from sin (of self, others or a portrayal of sin), corruption, immorality
FAITHFULNESS
  • unfaithfulness, tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine, instability, putting something before God
GENTLENESS
  • rough, harsh, inconsiderate, prideful, unmerciful
SELF-CONTROL
  • overindulgence, unbridled tongue, temper tantrums, debt-ridden, undisciplined, rash

6 comments:

  1. REALLY good study. Thanks for the soul-searching reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great 'charting' of the fruits and the opposite thereof. My brain functions like that....very appreciative of this post....of what I should be in Christ....rather than what I lean towards on my own. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsers! Convicted and wheels are turning! Love you!!! Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just re-read this post after I sent my comment. I love this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad it was beneficial to you! It was a really good study for me too!! (And Marcy, your passion and fire for the Lord never fails to encourage me!!! Love ya!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thoughts, thanks. Makes me think too of how when we "put off" one thing, we must "put on" its opposite to fill the empty place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!