Saturday, January 22, 2011

Plugging Along

[weekly-wrap-up4.gif]
One bad thing about homeschooling is we don't take snow days. I figure we might as well get a bunch of work done when the weather isn't fit for anything else, but it's a little difficult as facebook lets me know about all those lucky people getting the day off.

But the good thing about homeschooling is we take "beautiful weather" days!! :) So we plugged along through this week thinking about those gorgeous couple days we'll get the end of March when we are really tired of doing school when we'll leave the books on the shelves and go outside!!

I'm afraid we didn't have a very exciting week. We got lots accomplished (we even logged 31 hours if you count the three-hour viewing of Return of the King at the completion of our Lord of the Rings unit!) but it wasn't a lot of fun stuff that I took pictures of. I was very happy with our final exam over the Lord of the Rings and the kids earned grades of 96% and 85%. Next week they'll finish polishing their essays and deliver a speech and it will all be over. They are already talking about diving back into the trilogy to read it "just for fun". I'm glad I didn't kill their enjoyment with the endless vocabulary words, literary terms, discussion, essays and tests! I would go on and on again about how thrilled I was with this curriculum, but I see the eyes starting to roll already as I've gushed quite enough.

I am excited about Briana's quilting class and the fact that she finished the top of her first quilt! I think it is simply beautiful, and she's really happy with it too. It's a nine patch baby quilt and she is really excited to learn the quilting process. I don't sew (at all!) but I love that she has discovered and pursued her own interest in these crafts like sewing and knitting.

The big activity for the little ones this week was crafts, crafts, and more crafts! I stocked up on pom pom balls, feathers, googly eyes and all sorts of fun stuff to get their creative juices flowing. We've been cutting and gluing and painting like nobody's business. Easton wants to do crafts every day.
My favorite part is listening to their creative explanations and descriptions of what they've made. Each piece of artwork is also designated for special people in their lives (if I ever get around to mailing them!)
Easton even ventured outside with spray bottles filled with water and food coloring to make designs in the snow.
I was a little hesitant about buying the Design & Drill set as I thought it was rather pricey, but I just had a feeling it would see lots of use from our three little ones. I now don't regret a penny of that purchase.
Easton especially loves to play with it and it's a great toy to keep him productively entertained while I'm working with the older kids. He just needs a little help here and there, and was very proud of the flag he made this week.
His new chore is to fill the humidifier. We have found this especially necessary for Kiana and Tyrell's skin, and it seems to help everyone with winter cold symptoms. I love his diligence in carefully filling it every morning. He thinks he is really big stuff!

6 comments:

  1. I have a complaint... you are too prolific a writer! lol j/k How do you do it?! I've gotta be way faster with the comments I guess! I came to comment on previous things and here I see you've got another long post!! By the time I get it read you'll probably have another one up, ha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do love reading what you write so write as much as you want, of course. So I've read this now and I'm not even going to check whether you've made another post so I can get my comment in. ;)

    Doesn't it just feel so rewarding when they want to reread the books because they liked them so much? :)

    Brianna's quilt looks awesome. I know nothing about that, not even enough to be able to understand how that can be called a nine patch when it looks like way more!

    So, just curious, do you get frustrated with knowing what to do with all that cute "fruits of creativity" stuff when they're done with a whole bunch of it, like I do?

    Love the spray bottle w/food coloring idea, might have to try that. Design and drill looks like something some people here might appreciate as well. Look at his smile, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm overloading you with comments to make up for the lack. ;) I just glanced back up and saw that I'd missed that you said the art was designated for people, which would explain what you do with it perhaps. Is it always people that live away from the house or do they designate you or Alan or a sibling some too so that it still accumulates?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber--chuckle, you are a PROLIFIC commenter! :) You'll notice WHEN I post--the times are usually either around midnight or in the afternoon (naptime!). Sometimes I schedule a post and those are the ones that say something crazy like 7 am. giggle

    Artwork--we take pictures of them. Then they discreetly disappear. :D And the quilt. . .I know just enough to know that there are three blocks across the quilt and four down--each of those blocks is made up of nine small squares. Hence "nine patch". Does that help? :) (hopefully no real quilters will read this if I'm wrong, giggle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the first quilt! It looks WONDERFUL! (I wish *I* could take a quilting class! LOL)

    Jessy
    http://oursideofthemtn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun week! Your daughter's beautiful quilt gives me hope that one day my daughter may sew, too, even though I don't:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!