It was a long week, but we still managed to get our schoolwork done. I think it was my problem--I had too much going on and felt like I was always half a step behind (YES! because I had PROCRASTINATED, I *KNOW*!) and I am having some. . .uh, "organizational challenges." But we persevered and learned a lot.
History claimed the spot for favorite subject of the week. We wrapped up our study of the amazing sciences, architecture, and innovations of the Romans. Just for fun the kids made aqueducts out of cereal boxes.


(I didn't get a picture of Destry's finished project because he poured so much water through it that the cardboard dissolved before I got a picture!)

We actually learned quite a bit from this fun little hands-on project combined with the reading about aqueducts (I say 'we' because I never really understood their full purpose or why they were up so high. . .part of the fun of home education--getting some of those questions answered!). Because the population of the cities grew so rapidly, the wells within the city would quickly be insufficient for the cooking, bathing, and other needs of the people. So they piped water from many miles away, many times more than 30 miles, using the aqueduct system. It really was an engineering feat as they had to be built with a constant slope from beginning to end to keep the water moving. They were built about 55 feet high to prevent people from stealing or poisoning the water.

Easton and Kiana had to get in on the fun, too, although they were more concerned about painting their cereal box than learning about aqueducts. (What is it with these two and painting?!)

Easton is fascinated with rockets these days, so Daddy did a little experiment/project in which they powered rockets with balloons and rubber bands. Kiana didn't pay as much attention as Easton did. . .(is there something on my elbow??)

The little ones were also thrilled to get letters in the mail from some friends and immediately started their return pictures and letters. They thought they were pretty big stuff as they tromped out to the mailbox and put up the flag for the mail carrier.

"See the stickers I'm sending to my friend??"

Tyrell is now army crawling all over the place and pulled himself up to the train table at a local library. He has also learned that suckers are yummy and very sweet (thank you Grandma!! ha!)

I'm glad to remind myself that we accomplished some learning even in the midst of this busy week (including a homeschool rally at the capitol) but I'm going to try to be a full step ahead in the upcoming week. (ha, we'll see how that goes!)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!