So, to get to the point of this post, I am cooking for seven people now which is a demanding job. I have always tried to "manage my home" in the area of meal planning and grocery shopping, but I'm discovering a need to buckle down and learn more. Just today I purchased the Grocery University resource (which is on sale for less than half price through today!!) and I'm looking forward to having time to learn and implement some of these tips. I saw a great review of this product about a month ago and have been debating investing the time and money to improve my techniques--the sale ended my indecision and procrastination!
This post will highlight my current methods and you can hold me accountable to see what new methods I implement from Grocery University. Something you need to know about us first: we don't buy meat (or at least only very little) at the store. As a matter of fact, we currently have two freezers full of beef, pork, and chicken which were all raised on our own little hobby farm (and may I add this is a very good feeling?!). This affects two areas: 1) we eat a wide variety of meats/cuts of meat and 2) our grocery budget doesn't extend to the purchase of meat (instead we have a separate budget category to cover feed and processing expenses).
When I sit down to make a meal plan, I have developed a few strategies and tools. First, I always start supper and have yummy smells wafting through the house. This has proven beneficial as it makes everyone hungry. In the past, I got frustrated that I had to come up with all the meals myself. By manipulating, er, wisely applying my family's hunger pangs, I get lots of suggestions for meals that appeal to everyone.
Secondly, I have created a list of "Food Ideas" which is divided by cuts of meat and has a list of recipes I frequently make with that type of meat. It's not terribly fancy, but it works nicely to get my brain working. This is useful as I can consider the cuts of meat I have available at the time. For example, we frequently have pounds and pounds of hamburger in the freezer. Hamburger bores me. No matter what I do to it, it tastes like hamburger. But my handy dandy sheet lists 27 different things to do with hamburger.
I am not a strict menu planner--I don't figure out what we're having for lunch on Monday and supper on Thursday and so forth. Instead, I make a general list of meals to have within a certain amount of time. I've done this different ways--sometimes meals for a week, sometimes meals for a month, other times I organize by meat for a month (all the chicken meals in one column/list, all the beef meals in another, etc.) Recently I have started planning for five weeks at a time. I found weekly planning to go by too quickly, and monthly planning was nice, but the "new month" always seemed to catch me off guard so I would have a week of chaos before I sat down and made a plan for the current month. Five weeks at a time is working much better for me as it rarely coordinates with the flip of a calendar.
I wish I was some guru with charts and computer graphics, but I'm not. Simple seems to work best for me, so here is an example of my five-week meal planning chart. The first column lists the date of the week, the second column is where I can list ideas for side dishes, the third column has room for dessert ideas (I typically make two desserts per week), and the fourth column is for lunch ideas. We used to mainly clean up leftovers for lunch, but Destry is a garbage disposal these days and we very rarely have leftovers. We got tired of frozen pizza and PB&J for lunch when I didn't make a lunch plan and had no leftovers, so now I plan at least 3-4 lunches per week. Next is a column in which I list items specific to a recipe that I need to add to my "usual" shopping list--such as green peppers for fajitas or "taco fixings" or shrimp for jambalaya. The last column is for me to make a note of where to find the recipe if it's something from a cookbook or magazine that I don't frequently make. (Yes, this feature was added because I have made a list with a meal on it, then I couldn't find the recipe when it came time to make it!)
Now, per Corin's request, I'll share our planned meals for this week:
ham and beans with cornbread
chicken noodle soup with breadsticks
homemade pizza with fruit and raw veggies
chicken and rice casserole
sloppy joes
hot beef sandwiches
taco ring
spaghetti
baked potato bar
What tips help you with planning meals for your family while staying within the budget?
We live near an Amish Salvage Store...where they sell food that is sometimes nearing or just past the expiration date. Often there is just random stuff there but sometimes great deals like a case of organic bananas for $5, or a banana box of apples for $7. Being flexible in menu planning so I can use what I get there. Also being willing to do a little work to blanch/chop/freeze/can/ect the food myself saves $. Thanks for this post!
ReplyDeleteI am just starting to do the monthly meal plan. I DO write my meals on specific days of the week, but I often will change my mind. IF I do I just cross the meal off after we finish it, even if the day it is on is three weeks in the future. I also have a "month long list" that lists every possible thing I can think of that we might need for a recipe or just in general. Toward the end of the month I use that to make my grocery shopping list after planning the next month's meals. I would LOVE to find out what you learn, though, because there is still a need for us to reduce our budget!
ReplyDeleteI am planning once a week and do groceries on Monday evening while Emma is at dance. The thought of driving to KV more than once a week makes my stomach hurt when I see the price of gas. I don't plan "new" things....I'm boring and don't really like to cook. We eat lots of 'meat and potatoe' meals. We are blessed to have fresh pork and beef at all times. Last night I told vance that I would rather have a pwoer drill for mother's day rather than a mixer....:)
ReplyDeleteI'm still on lists of food for the week, but I think I'm eventually moving into longer spans of time. I still use the grocery list (modified) that you emailed me years ago, but I covered mine in a page protector and wipe away after I shop. You've got more ideas I might steal :)
ReplyDeleteI think you should make your plans/grocery list/ etc and mail it to me! Then I can save money and not have to work at a food list! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing Shonya! It's been a bad week so I'm way behind reading blogs, but I was really excited to see this post. The Taco Ring sounds intriguing.
ReplyDeleteI'm much less organized then you are.
When I'm on the last week of my planned menus I sit down in the evening when the kids have gone to bed. I surround myself with all my cook books and all my magazine clippings and printouts (I tear things out of magazines when they look good and keep them all together) I go through the clipping first and pick out a few new things to try. (Sadly most of the clippings are desserts.) Then I go through the cook books and my beloved recipe box. I just try and evenly pick beef, pork, chicken meals. I like to make meatless meals, but Steve doesn't usually care for them so I don't pick to many of those. Once I have a stack of recipes I start planning menus by pulling from my pile, I do however many weeks I've ended up with recipes for. Strangely, I like doing this by myself and usually only ask for Steve's input when I'm down to the last week I'm planning and I'm two recipes shy of finishing out the week.
I'll be very sad when the day comes that we don't have leftovers, I LOVE leftovers.
And I thank God on a regular basis that my family aren't picky eaters.
Laura--that's a great tip! I'm not as good about stopping by to check for a quick deal as I should be!
ReplyDeleteJenna--sounds like a great start! Interestingly, the first thing I'm learning is to check the pantry and sales, make a grocery list, and THEN make a menu plan from that in order to save money. Hmmm. . .we'll have to see how this goes! Can an old dog learn new tricks?! lol
Andrea--I'm not sure how we're friends. . .opposites attract?? :) Alan had better never get me a power drill cuz I would think he was just thinking of what HE wanted and it would not be a pretty 'discussion'. chuckle
Amanda--so glad the grocery list has blessed you! Very smart girl to use a page protector and wipe off!! I might have to steal an idea myself! :)
Shayla--good thought, but then you would want the recipes too and that would be a pain. . .hmmm. . .how about you do one five week plan, I'll do another, then we can switch and get 10 weeks for the work of five!!!! :D
ReplyDeleteCorin--the taco ring is super easy and yummy and from my stint years ago as a Pampered Chef consultant. Here's the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-ring-from-pampered-chef-81160
Just be as organized as you need to be--it's been 18 years for me, so my method has developed over time. ;)
Wow, that was awesome! And I'm fairly hungry right now! I always think I'm going to get better at meal planning...just hasn't happened yet. I really like the standard grocery list idea of just checking off what you ran out of. I am definitely going to steal that idea!
ReplyDelete