My favorite feature is the many study guides included throughout the text. For example, there is a really neat cutaway drawing of the tabernacle and other illustrations such as of the ark of the covenant, the golden lampstand, the altar, etc. There are also two-page spreads of Jerusalem during various periods of history, and a two-page spread of Herod's Temple complex in the time of Jesus. I think these illustrations are perfect for a visual little boy (well, let's face it, I find them fascinating myself!) and will be very useful to him as he learns more about God's interactions with mankind.
Another really handy feature is the "introduction" to each book of the Bible which highlights the author and time period, central themes, a brief timeline, and suggested memory verses. Finally, there is a dictionary in the back of the Bible. Many of these definitions are really good, but I did find a few to have a specific doctrinal slant where I prefer to let the Bible interpret and define itself.
Thank you to Crossway for the opportunity to review this book. Other than this free copy, I received no compensation for this honest review.
oh, the impulsive side of me clicked on the link and almost bought it tonight after reading about it...I think it would be great for Nathan too. The damn ramsey side of me says, wait and budget:) lol! Love you. Thank you for sharing! Marcy
ReplyDeleteMarcy, you are CRACKING me up!!!!! I am LITERALLY laughing out loud! Sure miss you. Oh, and yes, I encourage you to apply Ramsey (gales of laughter again) and budget--but then yes, I think Nathan would really like it too!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review of this. Love his clearly very happy face!!
ReplyDeleteAm I the only one who wishes there were Adventure Bibles for Adults? Why shouldn't my Bible reading be enhanced by colorful maps and illustrations? Don't be surprised if you see me carrying a Bible aimed at 10 yr. old boys in the near future.
ReplyDeleteit sounds wonderful! i love his big ole smile in the last picture! you can definitely tell he loves it:)
ReplyDeleteThis looks and sounds like a great Bible for a little boy. And I just LOVE the last picture of him loving on his new Bible!!
ReplyDeleteYes, I love that smiling face too--he's such a joyful little boy! And Corin, I say go for it! :) Maps are great to enhance learning at EVERY age! :)
ReplyDeleteRamsey update: Just purchased this bible through Family Christian Stores online. Had a 30% off coupon that is good through 5/29. Want to know that code?? teehee....Coupon #125323317. The total with this coupon comes to 19.59. Then add a little tax and change to economy shipping the total is 23.85! Yippee for a good deal. Oh Shonya, I'm sure your still chuckling at my self control. But remember I just had an amazing garage sale??!!!! Surely Mr. Ramsey would be in full support. Its a bible after all for my precious little guy! Love you, Marcy
ReplyDelete