Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Meeting San Antonio

Part of the reason I've been absent from my blog can be blamed on our trip to San Antonio, TX last week (the rest. . .yeah, I dunno, less time since school has resumed and when I sit down at the computer at 10 pm I am just so tired and brain-dead I can't summon the words!).
This was Easton and Kiana's first time flying. To say they absolutely loved it would be an understatement. I think the other flyers in the airport were highly amused by their excitement.
We absolutely love San Antonio and I hope to get to visit again. The Riverwalk was my favorite part and I took waaay too many pictures!
If you've never been there, it is a lovely three-mile walk along the San Antonio river which is littered with little shops and restaurants and it's simply beautiful.
We were fascinated by all the unique flora. I think next time we go, we'll pick up a TX field guide so we can figure out what some of these cool plants are. The kids kept asking me "what's this one?" and I kept saying "I don't know."
Easton desperately wanted to ride one of the boats, but we decided not to this time. It was nice to just leisurely make our way along the strip, stopping to look in little shops or get ice cream when we needed a break from the heat.

I didn't get a good picture of the Mexican restaurant where we ate, but it was H-O-T--too hot for this wimpy mama!
Of course, no trip to San Antonio is complete without a trip to see the Alamo. We had heard it was rather a disappointment, but we enjoyed it. We had to pick up a copy of the movie to watch with the older kids just for fun.
The highlight of the trip for the kiddos was the much-anticipated trip to Sea World.
We had picked up new sunglasses for Easton and Kiana and they were rocking the look!
We were pleasantly surprised to discover Sea World's amusement park section, and Kiana was in her element as Zoe sat by her on the carousel!
I'm sure you can tell that I had Tyrell in the sling so Alan got to join the little ones on the rides! Poor Kiana is so short she can't ride *anything* without an adult.
I took tons of pictures here, too, but I won't show you all the shows with aerialists, dolphins, belugas, walruses, sea lions, etc., etc. Shamu, however, is just classic. Soooo huge!! We were all in awe of God's wonderfully diverse creation.
The kids insisted we sit in the splash zone. . .
Easton and Kiana really enjoyed the area filled with Sesame Street characters, songs, and playground equipment,
and Tyrell found the whole experience exhausting! :)
The next day we got to meet with some friends who live near San Antonio. They homeschool also and have six children who match up nicely with our children. The big kids got to hang out and visit and play games and the little ones played and played and played while the grownups relaxed and visited (and enjoyed the kids being in a home rather than a cramped motel room). Easton was especially impressed that twins Tommy and Andy were also into trains.
They also came to our motel to go swimming with the kiddos in the huge pool.
Briana and Adrianne especially enjoy their friendship. They have so many interests in common and just wish they lived closer to one another. They're hoping to try to coordinate going to TeenPact national at the same time in the next year or two.
Another highlight of the trip was our visit to the Witte museum.
Hands-on science museums are always a hit with my kids.
Destry pulling himself up without the benefit of multiple pulleys. . .
Easton explaining that the air pressure from the bowling ball travels through the tube to shoot the tennis ball high in the air. . .
"The boys" making lots and lots of noise. . .(and examining it to see how it works and declaring they should build one!!!).
Kiana fascinated by what she can see up close with the telescope.
Proof that I was there (since I'm always the one behind the camera)!! I sat down on a bench to rest a minute with Tyrell snoozing in the sling, then grabbed Destry and asked him to take a picture of us! :)
The guys were especially fascinated with this water wheel and persevered diligently to figure it out and make it work.
All around it was a fun trip, but we were all ready to get back home.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a GREAT trip! Seems like the kids had an awesome time, from the older ones to the little ones. That's a challenge, I remember. Very neat, though.

    I read your review below -- I love Scarlet Pimpernel! I bet Destry would like it. The boys in my classes do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fun! I want to go to San Antonio now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pictures. Fun vacation and memories. Brings back memories when I visited there too:) Nathan wished he could have been on the plane with Easton and Kiana too. Love you! Marcy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!