- THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL by Baroness Orczy
- CATCH 22 by Joseph Heller
The book is set toward the end of WWII and (in a strange way) comments on topics such as the illogical ineffectiveness of bureaucracy and a twisted version of capitalism and free market gone berserk. I was especially struck by the frantic efforts to preserve life contrasted with the observation of one serviceman's death: "It was easy to read the message in his entrails. Man was matter, that was (his) secret. Drop him out a window and he’ll fall. Set fire to him and he’ll burn. Bury him and he’ll rot, like other kinds of garbage." Surely "life is but a vapor" and this realization should drive us to the Lord.
But I think that is why I can't stop thinking about this book. There is such a pervading sense of despair and desperation--hopelessness--throughout. Catch 22 tells us there is just no way out, we are powerless, everyone is out to get us, the "powers that be" are illogical, ineffectual, and/or dishonest, "all is vanity", our destiny is death, and all we can do is make the best of this short life we have, enjoy the moment, and perhaps even take advantage of everyone else (even to the point of endangering our allies) to get as much as we can while we can. What a sad and depressing message! The little mention of faith is even painted with a brush of scorn as the chaplain struggles with his faith and is irrelevant to the men he is leading and other characters either deny God's existence outright or attempt to manipulate Him to fit their image and needs (idolatry).
Obviously, the characters in this book need the Lord. In reading, however, I was struck by how cynicism can creep into my thoughts as I ponder subjects such as government or the economy. As a Christian, shouldn't my attitude be one of hope and a focus on the big picture rather than being dragged down by earthly concerns? There is no "Catch 22" with the Lord--He is faithful, He is in control, and He is good.
- MARTYR OF THE CATACOMBS
Studying times of great persecutions for Christians really convicts me. What will/would I do should I live in such times? Marcus is faced with many temptations, from denying Christ outright to rationalizing that he could help other Christians if he just avoided the whole issue and "blended" in, and even setting his faith aside for the time being until emperors changed and the persecution abated. As I read, I consider that it actually might be more difficult to LIVE for Christ, especially in the dark, damp, underground catacombs, than to die a martyr's death. Paul himself summed it up with the famous "to live is Christ and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:19-26).
Perhaps you think it's silly to think of things like this. How could we ever come under such widespread persecution as the Christians did so many years ago? I read the description of the age of the Roman empire and it sounds a little too familiar:
"The nature of the times in which they lived will explain their situation. The simple virtues of the old republic had passed away, and freedom had taken her everlasting flight. Corruption had moved over the empire and subdued everything beneath its numbing influence. Plots, rebellions, treasons, and strikes cursed the State by turns, but the fallen people stood by in silence. They saw their bravest suffer, their noblest die, all unmoved. The generous heart, the soul of fire, wakened no more. Only the basest passions aroused their degenerate feelings" (81).Lest I fall back into the hopelessness and despair manifested in Catch 22, I find encouragement as one of the characters tells Marcus, "All the persecutions which we have yet received have served only to purify the hearts of the people of God and exalt their faith. He knows what is best for us. We are in His hands, and He will give us no more than we can bear" (70). The church during that time was known for its love for one another, as Christ had predicted.
Sectarian strife, denominational bitterness were unknown. They had a great general foe to fight; how could they quarrel with one another? Here arose love to man which knew no distinction of race or class, but embraced all in its immense circumference, so that one could lay down his life for his brother; here the love of God, shed abroad in the heart by the Holy Spirit, stopped not at the sacrifice of life itself. The persecutions which raged around them strengthened in them all that zeal, faith, and love which glowed so brightly amid the darkness of the age. It confined their numbers to the true and the sincere. It was the antidote to hypocrisy.Wow! Those words stir me, and give me hope. They remind me that the trying of our faith brings patience. I am reminded that fire refines and purifies from dross. I pray that if I should ever face such persecution, God would strengthen me to faithfully confess Christ's name. And I am challenged to examine myself. Does my life show others the peace, joy, and hope of Christ? Do I have love for the brethren? Is there a clear line between me and the world, or do I compromise? Do I settle for a lower standard?
They did not shrink, but boldly proclaimed their faith and accepted the consequences. They drew a broad line between themselves and the world, and stood manfully on their own side. . .They never separated the ideal Christian from the real (86).
They never separated the ideal Christian from the real.
I think I read Martyr of the Catacombs a long time ago. Thanks for reminding me of it!
ReplyDelete