
Letters From Rifka by Karen Hesse tells the story of a twelve-year-old girl, a Russian Jew, immigrating to the United States during the first World War. She tells her story through a series of letters she writes to her cousin. We enjoyed this historical fiction (based on the experiences of the author's great aunt) as it taught us a little about history in a personal way, but also because of the growth taking place in the main character as a result of her many trials.This is a story of a girl learning who she is, becoming independent, and persevering until she overcomes. I especially appreciated the underlying message that true joy comes from serving others, especially in times of adversity, which keeps us from wallowing in self-pity and actually promotes growth.
We also especially enjoyed Words By Heart written by Oida Sebestyen. Only 162 pages, I read this story in one sitting as I just couldn't put it down. It tells the story of twelve-year-old Lena, a Black girl living in a sharecropping family in a White community in 1910. As the story begins, we see her exercising her phenomenal memory in a scripture-reciting contest. The rest of the story, however, illustrates her learning and growing as "those words you memorized--those words are not cotton, to see how much you can stuff in your sack and get rewarded for. They're rules to live by. They're to aspire to" (85).
This is another "coming of age" story. It shows how defining points in a person's life shape who they become. It helps young people begin to see their parents as people too as they struggle to find their place in the world. What I especially love, however, is the way this book teaches some life lessons within the pages of a truly gripping story.- Figure out who you really are, not just in comparison to others
- Never give up hope
- Live your faith
These books have truly been gems in our literature discussions during the last couple weeks and I am so grateful to have shared them with my teens. What great books would you recommend I read with them next?
Thanks for sharing your latest good book finds! I am always on the lookout for good chilren's lit!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing these books. I don't think any of my girls have read these. I will definitely be looking for them on our next library trip.
ReplyDeleteJumped over from WUHS
I have Letters for Rifka on the shelf for this year, but I have not read it yet. Glad to know you recommend it! :)
ReplyDeleteIf I haven't said it before - your kids are so very lucky to have you for a teacher and mom. These books are wonderful.
ReplyDelete