So let me begin by saying go order Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis right now, then come back and read the review if you want to build up your anticipation until it arrives.
As I mentioned previously, Katie is a 22-year-old woman who traded the American dream for a move to Uganda when she graduated from high school in order to serve the children. She has not only made Uganda her home, but has adopted 14 girls as her own.
The story of what God has done in her and through her these past four years is powerful, challenging, inspiring, convicting, moving, amazing. . .I thought her story might be "old" since I have been following her blog for quite some time, but the book is riveting. She tells her story in her own voice, always pointing to Jesus and the growth He has worked in her. She paints such a picture of the Ugandans that her love for them is contagious. I could hardly put the book down--except for the times my eyes were so full I couldn't read.
I appreciated some of the thoughts from the forward and am especially inspired by humble servants like Katie who "don't do anything to call attention to themselves, they simply pay attention to the everyday needs of others, even if it's only one person" (XI).
"There are no statistics in Katie's world. There are only people, and every life matters" (XVI).In addition to her personal story and an introduction to the land and its people, Katie sprinkles the book with Scripture and some of the insights she has gained through her studies and experiences. I especially appreciated her thoughts regarding the apostle Peter and his eager but frequently uninformed enthusiasm.
The spiritual maturity in this young lady is amazing--I find it impossible to imagine my 22-year-old self with such sacrificial love, such insight, such surrender to the Lord's will rather than my own. Even without her story or the draw of the Ugandan people, this book would be worth reading just to see the maturity the Lord has grown in her--but then, it all goes together, doesn't it? Without such experiences, such refinement, one doesn't attain such growth.
Especially at this time of year, when so many are consumed with THINGS and STUFF and MORE, MORE, MORE, I wonder at the wisdom and maturity required to say "I am running from things that can destroy my soul: complacency, comfort, and ignorance. I am much more terrified of living a comfortable life in a self-serving society and failing to follow Jesus than I am of any illness or tragedy" (XIX). Or upon a return to the states after living in abject poverty and primitive conditions to say:
"Part of me was angry that the people around me seemed to take for granted even simple things, like having a meal or running water. . .To my surprise, I discovered that I no longer fit in where I used to be so comfortable. I didn't live in this world anymore; I wasn't comfortable there" (83).I truly wish every professing Christian in America (and other comparatively wealthy countries) would read this book and examine his or her own life. What is our purpose here? Is it to "die with the most toys"? Is it to pursue self? Is it to love and serve others? Is it to learn to surrender our will to that of Christ?
"I hadn't realized what a transformation had taken place while I had been in Uganda, the spiritual richness I had experienced in material poverty and the spiritual poverty I felt now in a land of material wealth" (85).
And more than asking and answering that question, are we LIVING the answer?
I've deleted half of the quotes I originally typed from my highlights in this book, but if you'd like a small taste of the book, I'll end with a few I simply couldn't delete.
Even though it scares me, even though it challenges me to examine myself, I have to agree with Katie. "I want to give my life away for Christ. I want to exemplify Him in my every day. I want to live an open and expansive life, giving myself freely to all those around me for His glory" (150).
- "Jesus wrecked my life, shattered it to pieces, and put it back together more beautifully" (XVIII).
- "God reminded me again that day that I have one purpose, in Uganda and in life, and that is to love" (11).
- "I've had people ask me why I think Africa is so impoverished, but these children are not poor. I, as a person who grew up wealthy, am. I put value in things. These children, having no things, put value in God. I put my trust in relationships; these children, having already seen relationships fail, put their trust in the Lord" (26).
- "I did begin to think about how often, as human beings, we are crippled by our fears. We are afraid of change, of loss, of being hurt. We cling so tightly to what we have because we are afraid of what would happen if we didn't have these things anymore" (99).
- "I made peace with feeling inadequate because the truth is, I was. I still am; we all are. I quickly became okay with being imperfect" (109).
- "I was learning that the powerless, broken, dependent place was actually the place where the Lord was closest to me" (132).
This was a really good review. I just finished the book last night and I feel incapable of writing a review. It's certainly one of the most powerful books I've read, and I don't think I could do it justice. I agree that every professing Christian needs to read this book!
ReplyDeleteSounds like this is definitely one that I'll need to read soon!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteDenise--oh, it was just so good, wasn't it??! My hubby is reading it aloud to my two teens now (I keep listening in! ha) and we are really being challenged by it.
ReplyDeleteLorri--they have it at the APL, I returned it! :)