I had to set the book aside when Wiesel graphically described babies being thrown into a burning ditch and eloquently expressed its effect on him.Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed.My heart hurt as Wiesel described the brutality and depravity man can resort to. How is it that we turn on one another and adopt the "every man for himself" attitude in times of adversity? I simply can't fathom a child killing his father for a bite of bread (101) or accepting the philosophy espoused by the prisoners:
Never shall I forget that smoke.
Never shall I forget the little faces of the children, whose bodies I saw turned into wreaths of smoke beneath a silent blue sky.
Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desire to live.
Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust.
Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself.
Never. (34)
"Listen to me, kid. Don't forget that you are in a concentration camp. In this place, it is every man for himself, and you cannot think of others. Not even your father. In this place, there is no such thing as father, brother, friend. Each of us lives and dies alone" (110).So why read such a horrifying book? I think it challenges each of us TODAY to consider how we are living. Are we living every man for himself, not thinking of others? Or are we willing to trust in God and live out Christ's Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-8) regardless of how others treat us? Will we recognize the Christ for who He is (not who we expect or wish Him to be) and trust in Him regardless of our circumstances?
And ultimately, the underlying theme I perceived throughout this book was that of silence. The prisoners were silent as their fellow man was beaten, humiliated, and killed. The world was silent (for a time) as the Nazis employed mass genocide. Still today, people try to silence the story of the atrocities committed, so books like this one are needed and I admire him for speaking out to educate those of us who didn't live through it so perhaps we will be equipped and emboldened to speak out for the cause of others today.
For truly, similar atrocities still occur. Babies are still being burned--they are being ripped from the womb and thrown into the incenerator or the sewer. Children are still being deemed unworthy of love and family and thus institutionalized. Racism and genocide still occur across the globe.
"Who would allow such crimes to be committed? How could the world remain silent?
And then I explain to him how naive we were, that the world did know and remained silent. And that is why I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human being endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere" (118).
I would definitely like to read this book because, as you pointed out, I think it's important to read books about history. We have so much to learn from it if we'll just take the time to pay attention.
ReplyDeleteIt often boggles my mind how the Jews just complied with the Nazis and marched to their death. How can the human mind be so beaten down? This is amazing to me because surely they outnumbered them in the camps! It's kind of like the terrorists of 9/11. You sit in shock, disbelieving. Then, when one particular group of people is informed of the evils being committed on and with other planes - they know to fight back. It's interesting to think about (for me anyway.)
So glad for this review! Thanks for sharing about this book.
A moving review for many reasons. Thank you for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteYes, Carrie, you should read it, and I'd love to read your review! (And I'm glad to see a "fellow reader" who had also never read it so I don't feel so alone! chuckle) I agree with what you're saying--it's mind boggling to me as well. Many points of the book are simply horrifying to me--don't think I'll be forgetting this one!
ReplyDeleteKaren--you know me, I had to process some of the themes that affected me, glad you benefited as well.
Loved your review- haven't read "Night" in a long time because the content matter was so difficult, but I feel like it is an important book. So nice to see someone reviewing both classics and the more recently published!
ReplyDelete