Sometimes Kiana's hairstyles aren't all that fancy or time-intensive. Right now Kiana is wearing five little braided ponytails that took less than 30 minutes to fix and decorate. I just want to share this simple-but-cute style to encourage other mothers, particularly adoptive mothers, from getting overwhelmed or intimidated by hair.
I divided her hair in half from ear to ear across the top of her scalp. I then made a big 'V' part in the back half to form three sections. Using ballies, I made uneven ponytails in these three sections (some high, some low, none centered or attempting to make a straight line--less stress for mama to make it perfect and it's cuter that way anyway) and braided them. Then I parted the front half diagonally (to prevent stress on that center part which is so popular) and formed two more off-set ponytails and braided.

This style has been in for one week so far. I did take the ballies out real quick (although I left the hair braided) this morning and tightened the ponytails by just putting them right back in at the base of the hair as they were getting droopy. It took just about five minutes and I expect this style to last another 4-5 days. The new "big and sparkly" beads have been a huge hit with her and I think they are adorable. It really might be a bad thing for me to live so close to a store that has Black haircare products and ornaments. A-hem.
I just had to include this picture because I love it--she's such a cutie with that smile!
Looks like you are staying safe in that neighborhood huh?! lol Very cute hair! Love the bigger beads!
ReplyDeleteWanna go with me sometime?? =D
DeleteThe big beads are fun I AM SURE! =D
ReplyDeleteThe last picture completely cracks me up. What a little cutie.
My childhood best friend is half-black, and I remember watching her white mother struggle with her hair. I always felt really sorry for both my friend and her mom; if only this blog-and blogs in general- had been around twenty years ago, I could have pointed them in the right direction!
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice thing to say, Kristy! I figure I've had so much help online, it's only right to pass it on. :)
Delete