I really have nothing to say, but I just feel like sharing how happy I am to have completed this school year as we anticipate a fun summer.
Insert crazy happy dance, arms in the air, head thrown back in glee, spinning in circles, jumping up and down, and an echoing whooooooooooopppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
It's rather ironic to consider that I would describe this past year as our most difficult year--well, MY most difficult year. I had the hardest time staying on task, keeping a schedule, being motivated. . .well, simply ENJOYING homeschooling. At the same time, it was an incredibly productive year for my teens--especially academically, but also in character and life experience.
 |
| Destry's violin recital with his teacher, John, accompanying |
Next year I hope to reintroduce delight-directed learning, both for myself and for my kiddos. I recently read that one way to determine subject areas for delight-directed learning is to consider what you are saying to your child when you're annoyed with what they're doing. "Destry, how long are you going to play that piano/violin today? You're supposed to be doing your math." "Briana, it's time to put your quilt/embroidery away and do something else now." I appreciate that prompt and look forward to seeing how we can better incorporate these skills into our school day next year.
 |
| Destry's youth symphony performance |
Several years ago, when prompted to name our "school", I named it "Together to Love to Learn." I felt like there were so many areas represented in that title which captured some of my goals in home education.
 |
| Destry and his friend, Jerrit, dissecting a cow eyeball in our study of biology |
We are together--and I love that. I have so little time with my children, only about eighteen years, and I am grateful (most days, ha) for the time homeschooling provides.
 |
| Locating the lens of the eyeball |
We are together to love each other--and "relationships are what homeschooling is all about."
"Homeschooling
is largely heart to heart. The method and even the curriculum do not
matter nearly as much as the relationship between child and parent."
-Ruth Beechick
 |
| Briana dissecting a pig with her friends Adalee and Briana |
And one of my biggest goals (after their love and obedience to the Lord) is that my children would love to learn, both now and throughout their lives. I want them to be lifelong learners, and I'm aware that my attitude will affect their attitude toward learning.
(I love this picture of lil sis peering over Briana's shoulder at the dissected pig!)
So this summer, as I add to their transcripts, write course descriptions, and prepare for next year, I hope to overhaul my perspective and be better prepared to enjoy next year. Meanwhile, I'm still doing the happy dance.
I'm glad you are able to do happy dance! I know you have had a very hard year, think what all you have accomplished within that year, pretty amazing! Tell everyone hi for me! Sure do miss you!
ReplyDeleteDianna
It really has been a surprisingly good (though difficult) year. Thanks for your constant encouragement, Dianna! Miss you too!!
DeleteHappy Summer!
ReplyDeleteI love that you have to tell your kids to put away their instruments and quilting as opposed to video games and tv. Can I be you when I grow up?
ReplyDeletechuckle I was thinking as I wrote this about what my mom always got annoyed with me about: "Shonya, get your nose out of that book and do something else--go outside!" :D
DeleteKudos to YOU, Shonya -- you deserve the happy dance. I don't think I could do what you do. Enjoy your summer ... and take a bit of it back with you into the next school year.
ReplyDeleteAwww, thank you for the encouragement, Laura. I love that sentiment--take a bit of summer into the next school year. I hope to remember that! :)
DeleteI well remember the "happy dance" when the last day of schood was behind me. Congrats on another year, well done, and thanks for letting we readers be a part of your journey. Enjoy your summer! ~Deb
ReplyDeleteIt's always such a blessing to hear from you, Deb. I think we will, indeed, enjoy our summer! We've already been to Living History Farms and the Science Center this week--good thing we don't have to learn anymore, hmmm? chuckle
DeleteI know I'm a nurse but you've apparently forgotten I'm super grossed out by eyeballs...that's all I got out of this post.... :) Not really, we're SUPER excited for summer too! Isaiah's asked everyday if Nathan's out of school and Easton out of homeschooling (that's a quote, too cute) so we can play! I'm planning the cousins picture and a playdate next week!
ReplyDeletetee, hee I agree, the eyeball was the most disgusting dissection of the year--and we did seven others!
DeleteDelight-directed learning. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that!!!!!!!! (I know that *I* would have loved school more if I had been allowed to pursue the things that I really loved and learned how to relate the world to that subject matter.) We've talked a lot about doing that with/for our kids. But I love calling it delight-directed. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteLove your happy dance too! Enjoy your summer! :)
I would love to "chat" with you about "delight-directed learning" (great phrasing, by the way) especially with high schoolers. I have such big plans in the summers, but the tend to fall into the curriculum trap as the year progresses. And, by the way, the eyeball was our favorite of all the dissections!
ReplyDeleteCarrie and Kris,
ReplyDeleteDon't think I coined the term "delight-directed". I have read it over and over again from authors and experienced home educators like Marilyn Howshall, Barbara Shelton, and Robin Sampson. I don't know who first coined it. . .don't go giving me credit! ;) I love the principle, however, even as I sometimes get sidetracked with "finishing the book".