Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Versatile Box Braids

 Briana and I braided Kiana's hair into box braids early last week.  I hadn't realized how much her hair has grown!  She's loving it in braids as they "make her hair long like Rapunzel's".  It would be healthier for her hair to have not put the beads in the ends, but she wanted beads and the beads keep the braids stretched out to her hair's full length, which she also wanted, so I let her have beads this time.
To complete this style, I part her hair from ear to ear to separate front from back. Then I part her hair from nose to nape of neck (to make four quarters). I do it this way so once her hair is in braids I can style the braids into pigtails, or put one pony in the front section, or pigtails with only the front section and leave the back hanging in braids, or whatever we feel like each day.


 Then I start with one of the back quarters. I start at the bottom of the section--at her neck. Make rows all the way up and section them off with clips--I usually make mine about 3/4 in tall.  The size of your boxes will depend on the thickness of your child's hair and how long you want the style to last (the smaller the boxes/braids, the longer the style will look nice).  Then start with the bottom row and make a box that's roughly square in shape. You don't have to be perfect with it, esp on the bottom rows as they will be covered up by layers of braids.
Please disregard the bow in her hair (Kiana picked it!), but here is how her hair looks with the front half put into one side ponytail.  I think it's really pretty, especially with the beads cascading down the side of her face.  (Her posing here, by the way, makes me chuckle).
 And here she is today with the back braids hanging down long and pretty and the front half pulled up into two quick pigtails.
This is a great summer style that keeps her cool, provides lots of versatility, and will last at least four weeks and possibly even six or seven.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of work, but the end result is great! Adorable hair, and adorable girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Friend. I'm afraid to start it, honestly, but it must be done. Can you send Briana my way? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I even started reading what you wrote I thought to myself, "Wow, her hair is really growing long!"

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She has grown so much! Love the hair and yes it is long! She has changed so much!
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love box braids & beads. They stay looking nice for so long. I left T's in for 7 weeks at the beginning of the year. Lots of tiny braids like in this style. They were just so pretty and it had taken some bit of time to braid it all. Then I discovered that things were beginning to loc! Yikes. Not ready to loc her hair. Now we do larger braids or twists that I can take out and redo quicker. But seeing these pics of Kiana makes me want to revisit the 'do. Thanks for posting. She is such a cutie-pie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!