Friday, August 3, 2012

Created to Need a Help Meet, Guest Review Post

A few weeks ago I told a good friend that my husband was reading the book her husband had recommended.  "I don't know what's in there," I said, "but he's making me fall in love with him all over again.  I almost feel guilty and certainly undeserving of the love he is showering on me."
Alan with his five treasured blessings
He was reading Created to Need a Help Meet by Michael Pearl.  Now I realize this is a pretty controversial name these days, but I tend to pick out what I like from their resources and disregard the rest.  Overall, I think Mr. Pearl is a rather funny man, stern for sure, but I sense he loves the Lord, his wife, and his family very much.

I had to giggle at my friend's response.  She agreed that the book had affected her husband as well and confessed that she started reading it.  She stopped, however, when she reached chapter four which referenced the "nosy, bossy women who might be reading this to see what their husbands are reading."  That just cracked me up, and I was so glad she warned me so I could pretend I am not a nosy, bossy woman as well (you know I was just about to pick it up and start reading!).
After this discussion, I teasingly told Alan (my farmer, trapper, lineman, physical-not-literary kind of man) he would have to write a review for my blog since I wasn't supposed to read it.  Imagine my surprise when he emailed me his review, which I am now going to share with you.  I submit his review to you as evidence of the effect this book can have on your marriage (however, I don't recommend you buy it for your man as that never works. . .not that I've ever tried such a thing of course!  Maybe my husband will recommend it to yours.)

Guest Post by Alan
If there is one area a married man should never neglect it is the importance of continually trying to improve his marriage. Numerous books line the shelves of Barnes and Noble, Hastings, and Christian Book stores across this nation as well as numerous web sites on this subject.
Michael Pearl in Created to Need a Help Meet holds back no punches and lays it on the line of how important our wives are to us and are a blessing from God. In his typical backwoods humor and down to earth teaching he explores the meaning of the “help meet.” Pearl uses God’s word to teach that woman is perfect for us today. “Eve was the perfect right hand fit for the right man Adam “(23) and that she was made a “help---meet for him” (23).

I enjoyed the part of this book that expanded on the different types of men in this world and how these individual men have an ability to either make or break their help meet. Mr. Visionary always looking for the next thrill, Mr. Steady never changing, and the Command Man always confident and leading are the three personalities discussed. Pearl uses toe tamping examples and heart tearing letters to help us men who need to have our hearts worked on.

In order to love and cherish our wives to the extent that they will willingly submit to the type of man we are Pearl examines different types of women, applies scripture for Godly authority, and teaches the importance of cherishing your wife. “Obedience can be given to someone you fear or hate, but submission is the act of joyfully giving one’s self” (183).

Created to Need a Help Meet is a book that can be read lightly the first time to enjoy the humor, but needs to be studied the second time through to truly apply the principles and learn from the mistakes we have made in our marriages. I recommend this book for anyone who is thinking of getting married or has been married for many years to truly see how man is created to need a help meet.

8 comments:

  1. Speaking as someone who is married to the ultimate Command Man, I'm intensely curious about this book. Perhaps if I just leave the laptop open where Derek can stumble upon this review...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ultimate Command Man? Are you married to MY husband?! :) Have you read the book by his wife, Debi Pearl? (Created to Be a Help Meet) It describes the three types of men as well.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Alan, for the review. Now to Amazon... John M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ! FUN GUEST POST! (I love it when my husband guests...so it was fun reading Alan's thoughts on a book.) Cool.

    Yeah, we have suspicions about the Pearls but this book (and it's companion title?) are certainly curious. I hadn't heard of either, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://learninghowmuchidontknow.blogspot.com/2009/06/just-for-fun.html

      There's a link to Debi's overview of the three types of men from her book, Created to Be a Help Meet, which has been around for several years. While I don't agree with every word or idea, I agree with about 90% of it and my marriage has benefited tremendously from my reading it. (Please excuse the formatting and such as I transferred posts from an old blog and the formatting went crazy and comments didn't transfer).

      Delete
  4. I appreciate a lot about the Pearls. I know they've helped me.

    I see that my husband has already seen Alan's review. Thanks, Alan! Saves me from being tempted to even mention it to him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you two posting together!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!