Friday, August 24, 2012

Our Backyard


We haven't "formally" started school yet--our first day is scheduled for the Tuesday after Labor Day.  But we've been hopping on the four-wheeler or into the pickup for the short ride through the corn field to explore the river and this is learning at its very best.
In one short evening visit we identified the tracks of deer (both adult and fawn), raccoons, opossums, turkeys, and a mink.  Alan was especially excited to discover a coon slide down a bank which was evidence of them bringing their corn and other food to wash in the river before eating (trapping season is getting closer and closer!).  We also found some scat but weren't able to identify it for sure--I guess we'll have to bring the field guides next time.
Briana has always been fascinated by Great Blue Herons so she was thrilled to spot two of them, and Kiana caught a frog which she had to bring closer for momma's approval.  And Destry and Easton tried to catch a turtle, but it got away from them.
 "There is no kind of knowledge to be had in these early years so valuable to children as that which they get for themselves, of the world they live in.  Let them at once get into touch with nature, and a habit is formed which will be a source of delight through life.  We are all meant to be naturalists, each to his own degree, and it is inexcusable to live in a world so full of marvels of plant and animal life and to care for none of these things." 
--Charlotte Mason
Easton is getting a dwarf hamster tomorrow so we've been reading about hamsters, and our order of butterfly larvae has been shipped so they should be arriving early next week.  Learning is always in session!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun time of nature observations, wonderment, and family fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing about your nature study...a subject near and dear to my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day! We started nature studies like this wehn our kids were quite young. My now teenagers know more about "critters" than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful nature studies. This is something I've never been very good at because I'm not an outdoor person myself. But, I think it great for the kids, and they love it when we do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! And it looks like you stayed late? Things seem so different in the early evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I used PicMonkey to make my collage. On-line and free! And it only took about 5 minutes to do! Shhh! Don't tell! LOL It's not as fancy as others, but if I can create a collage, uploading photos, in 5 minutes on the first try...it works! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. That does it. I'm moving in. This new place is just too much fun! You've got room for another six of us, right? lol scooch, scooch.
    We live on 5 wooded acres and love it when we find animal tracks and even scat. We've had bats (probably still do), a migrating parrot!!!, deer, raccoons, possums, armadillos, and a bird called Chuck-will's-widow. We have enjoyed living where we do, even if we don't have a river running through it. ;) I pray y'all enjoy these days and are blessed with many, many years in your new home! Loved the pictures you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sonya, we have a family of 11 staying with us next weekend so maybe. . . :) They're staying in the basement which has a kitchen, bathroom, two bedrooms and living area!

      Your wooded area sounds wonderful too--aren't nature studies fun?

      Delete
  8. Your house and property sounds A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. And it sounds like you have room for us too!!! :D

    Again, I'm extremely happy for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever make it to Iowa and don't come and see me, Carrie, I will be *dreadfully* hurt!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!