I stole a little time in these last couple weeks to read some of the titles friends recommended when I posted my facebook query for good books to read. Two of these books were pretty light titles from the "christian fiction" genre, which I don't tend to read a lot of. (I'll try to avoid my soapbox about the substandard writing, characterization, plot, and watered-down christian living, etc.) I didn't love either of these books, but I don't think they were a complete waste of time as they did give me a couple thoughts to ponder.
One friend claimed The Yadayada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson as one of her top-ten-books that have had the most influence on her life. I won't be giving it that high of a rating, but I am glad to have read it and it is one of those books I would love to discuss over a Pepsi and some chocolate while cozied up in a couple red chairs with a good friend.
I have to admit my primary emotion in reading this book was wistfulness. You know how there are a precious few people you just connect with? Those with whom differences don't matter because there is a soul-deep connection? In a nutshell, that's what this book is about. It's about a group of women from widely diverse lifestyles, ethnicities, denominations, ages, etc. who connect in a prayer group and both challenge and support one another in their individual walks with the Lord. I've made friends since our move, but these friendships are based on shallow, surface commonalities that I can't see standing the test of time, growth, and change. This book made me wish for my own "yadayada prayer group".
I also appreciated how the author illustrated the ironies of life. You just might help a homeless, drug-addicted mother one day, and then a few years later find a lasting friend in her. Or you just might think you are a mature christian, perhaps even a little above some other fellow christians, but then life's curveball reminds you that you, too, are "just a sinner, saved by grace."
Another friend recommended Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson in particular, but then said I would enjoy anything by this author. Since Quaker Summer was checked out from the library, I checked out three other Samson titles (hey, we were traveling a lot and I thought if I really liked her, I might read several in the van). I chose to read Tiger Lillie first.
I'll confess I'm not a fan and I'm choosing to read another friend's recommendation (11/22/63 by King--I'm intrigued) before I read any other Samson books, although I think I'll still try Quaker Summer when it comes in at the library. Tiger Lillie was basically about a woman who ran a wedding planner business while hoping to find a husband of her own even as she fears a marriage like that of her sister who has lost her identity under her legalistic, control-freak husband. I ended up skimming many pages about the various details of the weddings she planned (yawn) but I wanted to find out what happened to her sister, so I finished the book.
The one little nugget I appreciated from this book was in reference to the legalistic lifestyle she observed in her brother-in-law: "I hope this lifestyle at least makes them feel better about themselves. I mean, in the end, isn't that what legalism is all about?" (290). I thought that was a pretty good summation of a lifestyle that dictates external behaviors, lists, and rules as if they somehow make a person more pleasing to God rather than the surrendering of self from the heart in response to the Father's love.


this was a fun post for me to read. Thank you for directing me to it. I totally get what you are saying here. might have to pick up Yada yada and give it a quick light whirl.
ReplyDeleteReading a "light" read myself this weekend! Thanks for the update!
ReplyDeleteSometimes we just need a light read, don't we?! :)
Delete