Sunday, November 9, 2014

Briana's Campaigning Experience

I wanted my children to have more awareness of government than I had, and I wanted them to be prepared to influence in a positive way.  Somehow I never quite expected that this bug would bite Briana quite as hard as it has, however.
Last year when we went to Iowa Homeschool Day at the Capitol we got to meet our representative, Greg Heartsill.  We enjoyed getting to meet this conservative man, who just happens to also be a homeschooling father, and whose values and political views are similar to our own.
When he was up for re-election this year, Briana offered to help him campaign (and dragged the rest of the family along with her).
We walked in several small-town parades, passing out literature, popsicles, candy and hand sanitizer (because the government doesn't just need cleaned up, it needs sanitized).
Briana spent several hours and many evenings knocking on constituents' doors passing them literature, asking them open-ended questions about their political beliefs, and placing signs in yards.  She really enjoyed stepping out of her comfort zone and engaging the people on his behalf, although she was disappointed to learn how many people take our legal system for granted and don't exercise their right to vote.  This experience has made her want to encourage others to do their part to preserve our freedoms by letting their voice be heard.
Thankfully, Representative Heartsill won his campaign and will be representing us again for another term.

2 comments:

  1. Go Briana!! That's awesome!

    And I love the hand sanitizer symbolism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brave young lady! Knocking on people's doors to talk about politics. *gasp!* Low voter turnout drives me BANANAS, so I'm pleased to see young people taking such an avid interest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!