Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Chore Packs Revisited

I have problems with consistency.
We've used the chorepack system by the Maxwells quite successfully in the past.  The children wear their little pack filled with individual cards for each chore until all chores are completed.  It helps the kids to have a clear directive of what to do, and it helps me not to have to nag remind them again and again.
But we had neglected the chore packs the first semester of this school year.  With the new year, the new semester, I revamped their chore packs and determined to reinstate this wonderful routine.
It has been working splendidly for nearly three months now!  No more reminding kids to brush their teeth or hair, no more asking someone to sweep up after a meal, no more sending someone to get the mail, unload the dishwasher, or wash the dishes.
They retrieve their chorepacks after breakfast and again after lunch and complete their assigned tasks.  They love to work--kids really do.  They love to contribute to the family, to feel needed, to have a sense of accomplishment for a job well done.
I'm going to try really hard not to fall off the wagon again.  This house is running so much more smoothly with chorepacks in place!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I, too, have good intentions and systems for different things and fall off the wagon. We haven't had chore packs but I've read about them - I love the idea. Might look into it more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know if this is similar to what the Duggars use? I remember reading about this in one of their books. I, too, struggle with consistency, but this sounds like a fabulous idea. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be what the Duggars use as well. It's the best system I've found (and we've tried several!). It's the easiest for me to be consistent with. . .

      Delete
  3. Dear Sister Shonya I continue to admire your, and Alan's, involvement with your children and am always inspired to introduce your blog to parents who have or want a sense of training children to work at home. I never knew such chore systems existed as Verona and I raised our children, Francine then Brandon, for the first time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!