Monday, September 21, 2015

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

The Storied Life of A.J. FikryThe Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

"Why is any one book different from any other book?  They are different, A.J. decides, because they are.  We have to look inside many.  We have to believe.  We agree to be disappointed sometimes so that we can be exhilarated every now and again" (237).

I am frequently disappointed by books I read, but when an exhilarating gem like this one comes along, it makes all the other "it-was-okay" books worth it.

I found this book simply delightful.  First of all, a book about books, a bookstore, and booklovers--how delightful is that?

I enjoyed the narrator's voice, which was rather quaint and charming.  I liked the characters, and especially the growth of the characters.  I loved the little blurbs about books sprinkled throughout and now want to run away for a week to read all the books that were referenced.

When I got about halfway through the book, I thought it started to lull somewhat.  I wondered where the story would go, as it seemed all the ends were being tied up.  But hang in there through those few pages as the author introduces another thought-provoking twist that I'm not going to ruin for you.  (But I will say that I hope, hope, hope such a thing never happens to me!)

I loved a proposal from one booklover to another (YES! Say YES!):
"All I can say is. . .All I can say is we'll figure it out, I swear.  When I read a book, I want you to be reading it at the same time.  I want to know what would (you) think of it.  I want you to be mine.  I can promise you books and conversation and all my heart" (154).
And I agree, discussing books (especially THE Book) is a wonderful way to get to know someone:
"He had spent hours with the man over the last half-dozen years.  They had only ever discussed books but what, in this life, is more personal than books?" (18).
I also agreed with the "necessity of encountering stories at precisely the right time in our lives.  The things we respond to at twenty are not necessarily the same things we will respond to at forty and vice versa.  This is true in books and also in life" (41).  This supports my habit of reading books multiple times.  I can perceive the same book or situation differently dependent on the season of life.

This is a fun little fictional novel for a weekend read.  I wish I had known it would be so enjoyable so I could have saved it for a road trip or flight.

2 comments:

  1. I'm still not adjusted to being back in this time zone so I woke at 3am. Started reading this book and didn't put it down until I was finished!


    Lambiase and his obsession with Costco. (He's totally my favorite.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHHH I am SO GLAD that you wrote a review on this one!! (My heart leapt when I saw this!) I've seen this book around and have it on my Amazon wishlist but I was waiting and hoping for someone else to read it first. Now I'm tempted to hit "click to order' right this second. The premise sounded so delightful and wonderful. I'm glad to know it's an enjoyable, fun read! I'm totally picking this one up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!