Robert Munsch's book "Stephanie's Ponytail" is one of Kiana's favorites. She frequently brings the book from the shelf, requesting that we read about Stephanie's creative hairstyles, the other children's taunts of "ugly, ugly, ugly", and then Stephanie's solution to their copying of her unique expressions of herself.I hesitated over this book the first time I read it because I don't think it's nice to say "ugly, ugly, ugly" and I was afraid this refrain might be mimicked by my children. But I just love the underlying message of the book.
Be yourself. Don't copy other people. It's very annoying to have others copy you ("imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" aside). A person whose every choice is followed can start to feel like she is losing herself, for if everyone else copies her she loses her unique identity.I could identify with Stephanie as I start to feel crowded sometimes and feel an urge to do something outrageous just to see if followers will continue on my heels. It's especially frustrating if someone initially criticizes your decision, then later jumps on the bandwagon. So if I ever say I'm going to shave my head, recognize that as code for "Step back, I want to be me without a mini-me."
In the book Stephanie wears her hair to school in various ponytails. One day she wants to have a ponytail coming out the side of her head, another day out the top of her head like a tree, and another day she wants the ponytail hanging in her face. I couldn't help but giggle and oblige Kiana when she told me one morning she wanted "a ponytail on her head like a tree".
Sounds like a great book. Glad she wants to mimic Stephanie's different hair styles.
ReplyDeleteThis is probably my favorite post of ALL times:) What a wonderful message this book has...and a very important one.
ReplyDeleteIt is Christ we should be seeking to follow; not man (or woman).
Forming your personal identity based on copying what God is doing in the life of someone else leaves the first mentioned shallow, pale, dull, and lonely. It cheats them out of what God could be doing in their life if only they would look to Him. It also cheapens what is being copied. For it is not the real deal when falsely imitated.
So go Stephanie! Wear your hair how you please, in front of your face if you will. And Stephanie's friends....you can go shave your heads!!
Giggle....love it!
Levi is a book lover too. I like to think (however delusional) that the message sinks in too when he's reenacting the story. Can't hurt anyway, right?
ReplyDelete