Things I've Learned This Week
- Never buy peanuts in the shell and leave them where your children can get to them. They make huge messes.
- There is no point in buying lots of expensive toys for your kids--just give them runt pigs. Hours of entertainment, guaranteed!!
- Pride is ugly. And repulsive. A turn off. (Yeah, I know that, but I've seen it even more clearly this week).
- Trying new recipes is fun and I find some great new ones to add to my repertoire. But some are also a bit of a burden to choke down. You know for sure when your husband kindly says "That's not one you ever need to make again." giggle I think we'll return to the old stand-bys for the next menu plan.
- I don't like being told what to do. Not even a little bit. And being told to serve takes the joy out of it for me--especially when it's something I would have done (and have done in the past) anyway. Until I take control of my attitude and do it "because I want to, not because you told me to." (Seriously, help--what children's book is this from?? I can just hear the sing-song refrain in my head).
- Having a menu plan is great. . .until you've made them all and you have to make a new one.
- I have no idea what to do or say when people are sick, scared, or grieving. I just pray and it doesn't feel like enough.
- Reading Mere Christianity with my teenagers has brought about wonderful discussion and I've enjoyed this peek into their hearts and spiritual thinking.
- Sin issues I thought I had under control years ago can rear their ugly heads again.
- I can still enjoy watching Fiddler on the Roof with my family--even if it's the 248,483,057th time!
- When you ask a 13-year-old boy what gifts he would like, he might say an axe, 22 shells, and epoxy.
- I never, ever get tired of baby giggles.
Sounds like you have had a very productive week (lol). You really made a good point with your thoughts. Learning can be funny, real, and sometime ugly or hard. Big Hug!!!
ReplyDeleteTotally agree with number 2. I was just thinking this morning, if someone really wants to knock Levi's socks off they'd buy him a laundry basket for Christmas. That boy can have more fun with a basket then most people have at Disney World.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on number 7 too. Everything I try and say in condolence to people comes out generic and inadequate. I've prayed often for God to provide me with better words of comfort, but have decided that He wants me to act as comic relief in these situations. I find that my incredible social awkwardness is a welcome distraction in stressful situations.
And finally, ditto on the baby giggles. The cute little babbles should be coming up soon for him. I laugh hysterically as Ellie says "blah, blah, blah" to me with her serious face.
Sounds like QUITE a week! There's a lot to think about and appreciate here.
ReplyDeletesounds like an emotionally busy week!
ReplyDelete