Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Life-Changing Adventures

I've been enjoying a delightful "escape" series by Lauraine Snelling this month, The Red River series and the subsequent series "Return to Red River." My reading list is almost embarrassing for the month of December with so many Snelling titles on it!
But it's been a good series for me in this season. It's a light, fiction series about two brothers and their families who immigrate from Norway to America in the 1850s. As their life unfolded, I read the many trials and difficulties they faced--but more importantly, the faith with which they faced them. Sometimes they accepted their circumstances with quiet faith, other times they railed against them with bitter anger, but eventually they learned and grew through the hard times. And isn't that what this life is really about?

I read about families who were physically torn apart by their immigration--parents, brothers and sisters never to see one another again. As our families are learning to deal with our 12-hour move (as yes, we are accepting the job offer in Colorado to begin February first), I am reminded at how much easier it is for us in this time period nearly two centuries later. In addition to the ability to travel by plane or car, we have the internet and telephone to maintain our close relationships. Contrast that with their slow mail service which could take three months for a handwritten letter, and I'm counting my blessings!

I recommend this light series any time you want to read something quick and easy that just "takes you away" (such as if your husband is traveling with work and you can't seem to go to bed without him or you have strep throat!) but at the same time will undergird your faith with examples of people's perseverance and faithfulness. All the books are sprinkled with great little nuggets like the one below:
"She had saved so many things to ponder in her heart, to take out and delight in again so many years later, to take out and study, hoping each time to understand, and with understanding, accept. Or is it the other way around? Acceptance first and then understanding, and sometimes still not understanding but rejoicing in the gifts God gives?" (140, Believing the Dream)
It appears she has yet another series for the next generation of this family--dare I begin it?

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Good Luck and many blessings on your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so excited for your family! I hope the move is smooth and that you absolutely love your new life in Colorado! For now, I'll be praying you through the packing and unpacking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound perfect for my Mother In Law- I'll have to pass your recommendation on. And congratulations on the job and newest adventure for your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!