Friday, December 23, 2011

Fall Reading Wrap Up

As the end of 2011 approaches, it's time to confess how I did with the Fall Into Reading challenge. I set a goal of 15 specific books to read and completed only seven of them--that's less than 50%! On the other hand, I read 24 books during this time, I just have a little bit of a problem staying focused with my reading! Oh, and I joined a "read through your Bible chronologically in 180 day challenge" after I started the Fall challenge and made it through Genesis, Job, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and part of Deuteronomy before I "fell off the cart" (but I hope to catch up. . .maybe. . .).
  • Purely Woman by the Wilson sisters This was really thought-provoking and interesting and is linked to thoughts prompted by one particularly meaningful section.
  • Encouraging Words for a Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George Very nice little book which I enjoyed in small bites
  • The Rules of Management by Richard Templar A surprisingly interesting book about being an effective manager. I started reading it thinking to recommend it to my husband and thought it was good enough I ended up finishing it. He read it, found it more than worthwhile, and is looking forward to applying some of its principles in a new position soon.
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life by Jan Johnson linked to my thoughts about how much she stepped on my toes (in a good way!). Would love to revisit this one with a friend.
  • Night by Elie Wiesel linked to my thoughts--such a horrifying account of this period of history.
  • The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver linked to my thoughts. I very much enjoyed this book, both as an interesting read and as a challenging message.
  • Uncompromising by Hannah Farver linked to my thoughts sharing how very much I loved this book, especially sharing it with my teenagers. I highly recommend this one to all teens and parents of teens.
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens by Debra Bell I read a little over half of this book and then started back at the beginning. There is seriously so much great stuff in it, I don't expect to call it "completed" until the end of next summer.
  • Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas I'm ashamed to say I didn't even open this one again--I'm stuck at halfway through and just need to pick it up and finish it. It truly is outstanding, I just have too many books vying for my attention.
  • Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst just didn't feel like being convicted :)
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins got overwhelmed and it looked really long
  • The Best of AW Tozer by Warren Wiersbe oooh, still want to read this one, moved it to my 2012 list!
  • The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier still excited to read this one too! adding to 2012. .
  • Inside Transracial Adoption by Gail Steinberg nyeh, still not motivated to read this one
  • The Revolution by Ron Paul hmm, never quite managed to pick this one up
Other books I've read during this time:
  • Unbroken--outstanding book. I saw this on many of the "Fall Reading Challenge" lists and just had to see what all the fuss was about. It's well-deserving of all the hype, let me assure you. If you haven't read it yet, add it to your 2012 list right away. (Oh, and I borrowed it from the library, you may recall, and looked forward to having a copy in the house as soon as possible. Guess how I snuck it in? tee, hee I got a copy for my son which he will be unwrapping soon--oh, he's going to love it, I just know it!)
  • Mudbound--recommended by a friend and I enjoyed it very much.
  • The End of Boys--disturbing book, not recommended, but thought-provoking all the same
  • Kisses From Katie--profound, convicting, inspiring. My husband was very moved by this book, and Briana is nearly finished with it. Highly recommended
  • Letters From Rifka --Very good young adult historical novel
  • Words by Heart --an excellent young adult historical novel, many lessons and gripping story
  • So Long Insecurity --interesting survey by Beth Moore of this subject, rather enlightening
  • Know What You Believe: Connecting Faith and Truth by Paul Little--great read, especially as I discussed it with my teens
  • And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie--so much fun, recommended by Destry
  • Red River series (Christian fiction) by Lauraine Snelling I very much enjoyed these light reads in December and they were especially comforting during this season of my life
  • Shield: A Framework of Self-Care for Foster and Adoptive Families--delightful little ebook relevant to foster and adoptive families and those who support loved ones in this walk
I've read some great books this fall, and am very glad to look back over them and ponder how I've learned and been challenged and simply had fun. Thanks to Katrina for sponsoring the Fall Reading challenge--I've thoroughly enjoyed it! It was good to meet fellow book-lovers and get some tips as to what I might enjoy reading. Now I'm looking forward to Carrie's Book Club 2012. As the saying goes,

So many books, so little time!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I think you are way past 50% you just substituted - and I vote that is "legal". My husband and I managed to get through the Bible in 90 Days only because there was a Bible Study at our new church and we wanted to keep up to make a good impression. Obviously the material made a big impression on us even though you can't possibly take it all in. It's a shame that it was midlife before I could say I'd read the entire Good Book. I'm a mystery buff so a couple of your other titles caught my eye as well, will put some on my 2012 list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite an impressive list despite the variations from your original goal! I remember reading Night years ago and being greatly impacted by it.

    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm tentatively putting Unbroken on my 2012 reading list. Not that I will get most of my reading list accomplished at all. Not even as much as you did this fall -- almost certainly. But we can dream, can't we? Isn't the new year fun for thinking about books? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!