Sadly, I'm afraid this attitude is infiltrating the christian church at large. Quite frankly, (and attempting not to be offensive at all) I was shocked some time ago to visit a church where children were strongly discouraged from being in the auditorium for the service. If parents insisted on keeping their children with them, they were relegated to an assigned area.
![]() |
| Stained glass window in a church building at a wedding we attended recently. |
Two possibilities come to my mind:
- The general tendency we have in our society to want entertainment. If we see the gathering of the church body as a time to be entertained with great worship music and a dynamic message, we might not want to be distracted by the responsibilities of parenthood. If, however, we see the gathering of the body as a time to worship, to remember the Lord's sacrifice, to build one another up, and glorify God, we might be more likely to bring our children alongside us so they can witness our worship and learn to worship Him as well.
- Our sad neglect of child training. If we haven't trained our children to obey or to know when it's appropriate to sit quietly, our children will be a disruption to the body at large and they will need to be shuffled off out of the way.
When I saw Children in Church: Nurturing Hearts of Worship by Curt and Sandra Lovelace, I couldn't wait to read it. I was most struck by their "sense of loss at the mass exodus of the next generation immediately before the opening of the Word of God" (118) and can't help but notice how it coincides with the mass exodus of young adults from the church. This likely correlation makes me sit up and take notice.
The Lovelaces gently explore Scriptures showing the Lord's heart for children and helping the reader understand that children both benefit from gathering with the congregation and contribute to the service. My personal experience resonates with their statements as my children frequently whisper "we know that story/verse" when they hear the teaching and many encouraging older members have reassured me that baby sounds give them joy and hope for the future.
I think the Lovelaces do a good job of not only addressing the principles of children in church, but also the practicalities. They share tips (from experience) for packing activity bags, illustrating sermons, and training children to worship alongside the adults. They address the "Philippians 2 principle" simultaneously reminding parents to train their children at home so they won't hinder the worship of fellow believers and encouraging others to be encouraging and helpful to the struggling parent rather than condemning. They give examples of bringing an activity to share with a parent and even examples of inviting children to sit with an older, more experienced parent to support a younger parent. This sounds like true "one another" christianity.
My slight criticism of this already short and easy-to-read book is that it might have belabored its points a little more than it needed to, but I also realize I was already convinced before I started reading so another reader might not share this criticism. I was most blessed by the reminder to teach/lead my children to worship, not just keep them quiet so they won't disturb worshipers around us. I have been guilty of having the wrong focus this last year and I am so thankful for their speaking the truth in love which I needed to hear. They also ended the book with a very nicely done summary of points addressed to "church leaders".
Children in Church: Nurturing Hearts of Worship by Curt and Sandra Lovelace encouraged me to keep on keeping on and refuse to grow weary in well-doing. I appreciated the abundance of Scriptures cited in support of children worshiping with their parents and am motivated to bring my children alongside me in adoration of our Savior. The Lovelaces speak with a voice of experience and authenticity liberally sprinkled with both grace and conviction as they share encouragement and practical hints for those of us still in the trenches with our children beside us in the pews.
I received a copy of this book in return for my honest review.


You know...I've thought about this too. The "mass exodus" statement is what has been hitting me for awhile. Church is for the entire body of Christ and some of them are itty bitty. I feel like we're missing something when we are always seperate.
ReplyDeleteAs an adult, I have only attended churches where the young children are separate, but I grew up in a church where we were all together in the same sanctuary; as such, I have mixed feelings on this topic. I definitely enjoyed hearing your take on it.
ReplyDeleteTo those of you still in the trenches with kids in the pew with you, I say, "More power to you!" This sounds like a great book, Shonya.
ReplyDeleteThe book has definitely made me think! I finished it about two weeks ago, but it has taken me this long to decide what to say in my review. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is something I feel strongly about, too. I can't say enough how valuable it is that we model and share what we love with our children. They learn a ton by being at our sides--they see what we are about and what is important to us, as well as how to behave--at church, at concerts, at museums, etc.) It is harder, and I don't expect them to act like miniature adults. We usually sit near the back so we can make quick exits when we need to. But they are learning because we are doing it together.
ReplyDeleteI love that phrasing, Karen--model and share what we love.
DeleteYes! Yes! Yes! I agree with you! Amen! I want this book. (Who are you talking to when you say that you are hard on the book budget?! HUH!?) ;)
ReplyDeleteMy children are rather well behaved in services (the youngest being the exception but we're working on that!) and I HATE the glares we receive. I can't stand it when people look at my kids and assume - outloud! - that they will be disobedient and therefore they are not wanted. Not even WANTED! This is...something that needs to change. *Trying not to get up on the pedestal....failing....gaa!!!*
Heh, heh, kinda like the pot calling the kettle black, hmm? ;) I had a hard time staying off my own soapbox in this post (giggle, as if I actually stayed off it) as well. I look forward to reading your review! chuckle
DeleteThank you for this post! Lord willing, I'll definitely be getting a hold of this book. I've been really discouraged with the glares and comments lately. (My children are 1 and 3, so they're not perfect, but when they're disruptive, we get up with them). I'm just surprised there's not more encouragement from those who have grown children. I think maybe some have forgotten what it's like.
ReplyDeleteAlthough, I will say a VERY sweet older lady gave me a much needed boost of encouragement about a week ago. Some do remember. :)
{hug} Strive on, Bluerose! I wish we could meet in worship together and trade activity bags--it's amazing what a different bag can do. :) I think you would definitely find this book encouraging.
DeleteShonya, thank you so much for your lovely review! I'd like to invite your readers to join us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/childreninchurch and on the Lovelace's blog (and where you can get this great book!) at http://childreninchurch.com.
ReplyDeleteThanks again!
Melanie Young
Vice-President
Great Waters Press