Introducing Fluffy, aka Chum. Easton has been wanting his own pet for some time, and his new little friend, Justin, was ready to pass his dwarf hamster along. Justin had him named Fluffy, and Easton wanted to honor that name, but also wanted to name him Chum (after the hamster in Ralph the Mouse). He decided Chum would be Fluffy's "nickname".
Even though I'm not a fan of rodents in general (or mice in particular!) Destry and Briana had dwarf hamsters when they were younger and I developed a fondness for them. (I thought about digging up old pictures to post of Briana and Destry with their hamsters--oh those were fun days!--but it seems a daunting task as those were pre-digital days).
In preparation for the proper care of this new pet we have been studying about hamsters. Easton is taking his responsibility very seriously and drinks in every word of our Usborne hamster book (highly recommended, by the way).
He has Fluffy eating out of his hand and constantly bombards me with requests on Fluffy's behalf. "He needs a carrot to chew on, Mom, so his front teeth won't grow too long!"
He's very kind to share Fluffy with his younger sister and brother, but he always supervises watchfully, cautioning them to be careful and gentle or to "let him sleep during the day because he likes to be awake at night".
I'm pretty sure the hamster book didn't address Fluffy's spiritual condition, but I sure got a kick out of Easton propping a small Bible up to the cage so Fluffy could "read about Jesus".
What a fun way to experience God's marvelous creation while learning some responsibility at the same time!









Aww. Well, a hamster is as much as I - I mean, my BOYS - have as a pet. But honestly I think my girl loves the thing best. She is always terribly excited to see him awake and busy. :)
ReplyDeleteFun times!
p.s. I like "Chum."
ReplyDeleteAw, so cute, and how sweet about the Bible. I'll have to be sure to show this one to the children.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cute that he put the bible so he could read about Jesus! Don't you just love their hearts at that age?! Precious!
ReplyDelete