Friday, September 21, 2012

Fall Reading Challenge

“You will be the same person each year
except for the people you meet and the books you read.”

  I don't remember where I saw the above quote, but I've been thinking about it for a couple weeks.  It's so fascinating to reflect on the influences people and books have had on my life.  As Alan and I recently celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary, I've been considering who we are now, who *I* am now, compared to who I was when we married.  As I continue on this path of growth, I wonder who I'll be in another 20 years! 
I'm joining Katrina's Fall Reading Challenge so we'll see how these books may affect me, and as we're making new friends in Iowa. . .well, I'm curious to see how these changes grow me in the months ahead.  For now, here are some books I hope to read in the next three months (remembering, of course, that I have a tendency to get distracted by other interesting books that pop up in the midst of a challenge).

I'm studying this time period with Briana and Destry, so it seemed an appropriate book (especially since I picked it up at a thrift store).  I've read three chapters so far and am pleasantly surprised at how readable it is.
I've been reading this book aloud with Briana and Destry and we are really enjoying it.  It has prompted lots of great discussions and a final conclusion for each of them:  "I am not ready to get married yet.  I have a lot of growing up to do!"
Ironically, I am also pre-reading Preparing to Be a Helpmeet for Briana.  She has four friends who have read it and suggested it to her, and a couple of her friends are beginning a "book study" based around it.  I'm just three or four chapters in, so can't say much yet. . .but I will say that I'm not sure 16 is the age at which I would hand it to her.
The Age of Opportunity has been on my list to read for quite some time and has been highly recommended.  I just purchased it this summer and need to get it read as my teens are 16 and 15 and I am sure I will benefit from "a biblical guide to parenting teens."
This book has also been highly recommended to me by a new friend I'm making in the homeschooling community since we moved here.  She just keeps talking about it and how eye-opening it has been to analyze her personality and her children's personalities.  When she started "diagnosing" me and calling me color names, I knew I had to order this book just to see who she thinks I am! ha!
In reading the summary of Gone Girl, I'm wondering who recommended this book to me, but the description of the writing has me intrigued.  I'm ready for a great fiction novel to just take me away for a few hours. 
My big kids are reading Don Quixote right now and I opted out of this one.  I've never read it and had a hard time getting into the first few chapters so I quit.  There are so many other books I'd rather read and time is limited and all that.  It is lauded as the forerunner to comedic books and was written in the early 1600s which is why it made our literature list.  I'm not sure if I'll require them to complete it or not. . .(just don't tell them that!)

But the next lit book we'll be exploring is The Scarlet Letter and I'm looking forward to that one.  I read it about 25 years ago, but can't tell you much about it.  Reading the classics is so much more enjoyable as an adult with some life experience behind a person.
A friend from church picked a copy of this book up at a thrift store and gave it to me with the postscript "everyone needs to read this book."  I was rather taken aback at the suggestion--is that a hint that I'm not able to make friends or what?! ha!  A dear friend in Missouri recently finished it as well, so I'm intrigued.

I started the Faithful, Abundant, True Bible study guide last week and really enjoyed the first convicting week of homework and am looking forward to this time in the Word this Fall.
For Carrie's Book Club, I'm supposed to read Uncle Tom's Cabin in October, but I think I will skip it as I just re-read it a couple years ago.  In November our assignment is Jewel of Persia by Roseanna White and I am planning to read this fictionalized account of the story of Esther.  I'm a little intrigued at the idea of the author combining the biblical account with information from Josephus and then taking creative license with the whole idea.  I'm not always a fan of novels based on biblical stories, however, so we'll see. . .

And then the December assignment is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, which sounds like a relaxing read. Dare I admit I've never read it--I've only watched the classic movie!

Finally, if I have time (and if my local library has them!), I hope to explore a couple recommendations from Kristy just for fun.

What are you hoping to read this fall?  Would you think it fun to mess up my goals by distracting me with some intriguing titles?

25 comments:

  1. I read I Kissed Dating Good-bye when my boys were entering their teens. We pulled a lot of good principles from it.

    I read The Scarlet Letter years ago, too.

    I'm uncomfortable with much Biblical fiction as well, so I don't know if I'll be reading Jewel of Persia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh there are several there I might have to explore. Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the saying you have at the top of your post. So true :)
    My dad lives by the Dale Carnegie Book you have listed.
    Your book list looks so interesting, good luck with your challenge.
    Thank you for visiting my blog.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, Shonya! Lots of variety! My husband has been reading (actually listening to) the History of English-Speaking Peoples series and he's enjoying it. I tend to avoid history books, so I can't comment. :) Faithful, Abundant, True looks good -- will have to check that out! I've read The Eyre Affair and a couple others in that series. They are...different. :) I liked them, but I have to be in the mood to pick one up.

    Enjoy your fall reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always nice to find another homeschooling mom's blog. Found yours through the Fall into Reading Challenge.
    Nice list. I own A History..., but have never read it, just so daunting, but maybe I'll give it a try. I've read the Eyre Affair, it is a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see several books on your list that I need to check out. Good luck with your Fall Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes you do have quite a variety of books to read. I read "Gone Girl" last month. Enjoy your Fall Reading Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you've got quite an interesting mix of titles for your challenge, Shonya. The Kid Book sounds like one I need to pick up...my two girls are so different and I think if I knew more about their personalities (and mine) it would make a world of difference.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today. (And yes, I do like Amish Fiction.) Have an enjoyable fall...and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your opening quote!

    I had my girls read "I Kissed Dating Goodbye." My oldest didn't end up following it exactly, but I think the principles she learned were still helpful. My youngest daughter (17) still hasn't dated, so the jury is still out. :-)

    So excited to see people still reading "Age of Opportunity". It was one of the most helpful books for me as I parented teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be very curious to see if you end up liking The Eyre Affair. I tried it and did not like it.

    I'm sensing a theme with the first half of your list. :D

    For the record, I am very suspicious towards Jewel of Persia but I'm trying to give every read a go this year. :D That said, I'm still very suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! As in, I'm parenting a couple teenagers right now??? :) Now I'm even more curious to see what I'll think of those two books!

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed Faithful, Abundant and True. All three ladies are fantastic! I've got Gone Girl on my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of diversity in your list. Have fun diving into your stack this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that quote!

    Looks like you have a great list with lots of variety to it. Enjoy your fall reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh Shonya I laughed at your last comment! I always felt it was my job to mess up your reading schedule! It was one part of my job that I truly loved! There are several books coming out that I would "put back for you"! I don't have my order book at home but IF I remember I will send you a list! Close or far I can still mess up your reading schedule!!! Miss you all bunches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry forgot to sign my name! Can you guess who?


      Delete
    2. Oh, I miss you too, DIANNA!!! I also miss you calling and "messing up my day" to tell me you had a book in that you knew I would want to read! So fun to scrap everything and dive right in (or stay up half the night). Looking forward to that fun list. :)

      Delete
  15. I've heard excellent things about Gone Girl, and also about Jasper FForde's Thursday Next series. I read the first of his Nursery Crimes series on holiday a few years ago and thought it was incredibly clever and very amusing, so I have high hopes for The Eyre Affair! I'm definitely looking forward to some rainy days off (and quiet days at our bookshop) tucked up with a mug of coffee and a good book this autumn!
    Ellie @ Musings of a Bookshop Girl
    http://musingsofabookshopgirl.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard good things about I Kissed Dating Good-Bye; I haven't decided if it's something I want to read now, or put it on some list to read (that I'll most likely lose) when my kids are a little older. Your fall reading list seems very ambitious- but then I can't read too much nonfiction at a time. Looks like a mix of opinions on The Eyre Affair; it's that kind of book, I worked with a lot of people who loved it, but have also met quite a few who just didn't really "get" it. I'll be curious to see what you think- if you have time! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Faithful Abundant True is a great Bible study! I keep my books on a spread sheet because I have found myself buying the same book I have already read. Talk about a brain on overload! I also keep a list of books I want to read on the spreadsheet. So there are three columns: Read, Have, Want. I'm going to add a couple of your titles to my "Want" list. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't remember whether I told you Happy Anniversary on FB or not, though I did see your sweet photo -- so Happy Anniversary! It's amazing how fast time is going these days -- we hit 15 years ourselves this year.

    I read How To Win Friends quite a few years ago and thought it was interesting, rather common sense in a lot of ways but I liked a lot about it at the time. It would be worth looking at again. I'm not really big on the title personally but I guess it's well-named for selling.

    I've read I Kissed Dating Goodbye and could see myself going through some of it at least w/mine as they get older, with discussion and maybe some editing here and there. I thought it had a lot of good points.

    We've (Bethany and I) started Churchill's Birth of Britain this fall. I've barely gotten started but found it interesting. Bethany is further than I am, but I don't think she's that thrilled with it yet. We'll see if she likes it better as she progresses.

    I did not like The Scarlet Letter in school, though I think it will be interesting to revisit at some point.

    Thanks for your initial thoughts on Preparing to Be a Helpmeet, and I'll look forward to any future thoughts you have that you care to share.

    After Atlas I dare not suggest any other books for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list! I've been hearing a lot about Gone Girl and The Eyre Affair is one of my favorite books / series.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome list! I loved I Kissed Dating Goodbye. My husband wasn't so sure what he thought of it; I think he thought it was a bit "girly" and behind the times. I'm more conservative than he is, though, but at least it generated a good deal of discussion!

    I really want to read The Eyre Affair. I hope it's good!
    Happy reading!
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a great assortment of books for the challenge. I've been considering Gone Girl as well. Good luck and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a great list! I have Gone Girl on my Kindle, but didn't include it on my list. Maybe I should change that :) I loved Still Missing and hope you will too.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!