
And art is messy. Not that I'm a neat-freak or anything, in fact, just the opposite is the problem. Art projects make big messes and the messes from art projects tend to last longer than the projects themselves do.
The Lord gave me a child who loves art. (Go ahead and laugh, I think it's kind of funny too) Easton is six years old and would do crafts all day long if I let him. He loves to create with clay, playdough, paint, crayons, pencils, pompoms, craft sticks, scissors, glue, glitter, Legos, blocks, paper towel tubes, tape. . .
So I'm faking it. Thanks to a long-distance friend, we started the year with a couple of great projects. We're spreading newspapers and mixing paint colors in our palettes and I'm smiling.
They are loving it. And when I see their beaming smiles of pride and joy, I'm no longer faking it, I'm smiling joyfully right along with them.
It really was a great craft idea--thanks, Kat, for sharing. If you'd like to make them with your kiddos too, here is what we did. 1) Purchase canvases at Hobby Lobby for approximately $3 apiece.
2) Write each child's name with the blue tape you use for trimming when you're painting (we have used a lot of this in recent months--about $3 at Walmart).
3) Lay newspaper on the table and turn the kiddos loose with paints of all colors. We used tempera paint. They used brushes part of the time, but most of the time they used their fingers. The contrast in texture turned out rather neat.
4) Allow the paint to dry for a few hours and then remove the tape. 5) Take a picture of children proudly displaying their creations.
6) Hang their names in their respective bedrooms.
Oh yes, and clean up the mess. I almost forgot that part. ;)
First week of school, first art project down. Feel free to share other great ideas for this art-challenged momma!









I'm with you...Arts and Crafts are one of those things that I haven't done much with the kids. I'm a creative person in general, but I just find adding arts and crafts the last thing on my list to accomplish with school. I'm trying to do better this year though...in the form of HANDICRAFTS. Right now my daughter is doing a latch-hook ladybug and my son just finished up making TP bi-planes. This works for us! Anyway, those name painting are great. I saw a similar idea on Pinterest that I pinned...but I haven't bought paint or tape yet! LOL
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I'm not the only one! :) There are just so few hours in a day. . .
DeleteAwwww. Look how happy they are showing off their works of art!
ReplyDeleteOh, I see--you're guilting me into doing more art, aren't you?! :)
DeleteThose are really lovely! What a fun project.
ReplyDeleteDid you see our "naturebots" we made? You live in an ideal "nature hunt to make the bots" location! Isaiah would LOVE to come over and get more "treasures" to make another! Good job btw....kids look super excited about them!
ReplyDeleteNo, I don't remember seeing them (but I could easily have just forgotten! ha!). Sounds like a fun Aunt Shayla day. You can come over, treasure hunt with them, and guide them in making naturebots. I'll, ummmm, read a book! :)
DeleteVery very cute art work! And at such a great price:) Marcy
ReplyDeleteIt was worth that trip to Hobby Lobby, huh? Even though I totally disappointed you in (NOT) buying decorations?? :)
DeleteTheir artwork turned out great! AND they had such fun making it. Bet those will hang in their rooms for a long time. I'm like you about the messy art except I would have moved the project outside. ;) Several weeks ago, I thought fingerpainting at the easel & one in a highchair would keep mine busy while I worked (we'd all be in the kitchen). HA!!! You wouldn't believe where all I found fingerpaint splattered from the 2 yr old. And did I get any work done? Only if you count the times I refilled the paint pots, water cups, and put out fresh paper. But, it turned out fun, afterall. You're a brave woman!
ReplyDeleteNow I can't decide whether to have the kids your project or the melted crayons on our canvasses.
:) I bought canvases for both projects, chuckle. Don't know what we'll do the rest of the year, but we have TWO great projects at least.
DeleteThis is such a neat, fun, project -- and still practical as you just moved into the house to help decorate and personalize their rooms! Their masterpieces look great! And their delighted little faces, Tyrell peeking over his... too cute!
ReplyDeleteDarling! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete