Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Clear Winter Nights

Clear Winter Nights:  A Journey Into Truth, Doubt, and What Comes After 
by Trevin Wax
"Theology in Story"

I received this book as a gift and was afraid it would be a little too. . .obvious. And it was. Yet I thought it was a worthwhile read for all that.

I think what I liked best about it was that it was real and honest. In coming to our own faith (rather than some handed-down faith) we all have to ask the tough questions and maybe even go through a period of doubt and I'm glad this author wasn't afraid to ask the tough questions, even if the storyline was sometimes cheesy and obvious.

I had two favorite messages from this book.

NUMBER ONE:
The reminder that "This is the Christian life. It's war" (107). Oh how easily we forget this. I think I want to put these two sentences in vinyl above my kitchen sink to help me remember! :)

NUMBER TWO:
I was intrigued at the four options the main character felt like he had as he struggled with his questions. 1) slipping into hypocrisy as he realized he could not live up to the ideal christian life, 2) giving up on faith all together, 3) turning religion into an impersonal intellectual exercise (again bc he couldn't live up to the ideal in his own mind) or 4), the really tough choice, really living his faith.

Okay, and there was one other undercurrent that resonated with me. Chris had a strong, older male mentor, his grandfather, who he could go to for wisdom. Such a sage man this character was! We all need an older mentor to help us through these times when we're asking the tough questions.

Glad I got to read this one, and even more glad that it was part of a "thank you gift" (along with a 12-pack of Pepsi, lol) from some new friends. I think they are starting to "get me". :D

4 comments:

  1. :D Yup! DOES sound like these new friends are starting to "get" you...quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. My interest is piqued a bit, although I get so, so irritated at Christian fiction that just can't seem to shed its penchant for cheese (and I do not mean that in a delicious, enchilada-covering way) and adorable-ness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you completely.

      This is NOT a book you read for a good storyline. Rather, it's interesting to observe the main character's struggles and arguments as he questions his faith and learns to claim it for his own.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!