Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria SempleMy overall opinion of this book is "myeh." It was kind of fun to enjoy the author's satirical wit poking fun at different stereotypes, and her technique of progressing the storyline through emails, doctor's reports, notes, and transcripts of conversations was unique and interesting. I was surprised, but this technique actually worked.
Overall, however, it just hit me as kind of ridiculous. The book went on and on (and on), but then the ending felt really abrupt and without resolution.
As to a question a friend of mine posed, "To self reflect do women in a sense disappear into motherhood and marriage and what are the ramifications thereof?", I think that's a viable question but not one I saw presented in this book myself. I saw Bernadette as a woman who "lost herself" because 1) she was afraid of another failure/embarrassment and 2) she had "bartered" her creativity in her desperate plea for her daughter's life--not because she had disappeared into motherhood and marriage in a sacrificial sense.
I will concede that this novel was rather clever, but it just didn't do it for me as a great read. (As I look at my Goodreads friends' ratings, however, I find they all gave it 4's and 5's, so what do I know as I wavered between 2 and 3--two for the story, 3 for the author's cleverness?! You may want to read it for yourself and disagree with me!)
I trust your opinion. :D So I'll pass since it's just a "myeh." :)
ReplyDelete