Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sons and Lovers

Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence

It took me forever to finish this 600+ page book.  I had a hard time making myself pick it back up when time would necessitate my setting it down.


Yet it had some interesting themes, chiefly that of a mother's love for her sons.  This was not a natural of healthy love, however.  This was an obsessive love which killed her marriage (or perhaps was a result of her dead marriage--which came first?!) and handicapped her sons so that they were incapable of experiencing love or a healthy lasting relationship with a woman.  As it can be very easy for women to find their identity in their children--to live their entire lives in and for their children--I thought this was a great illustration of what can happen when women make an idol of family.  But I'm not sure I needed to read THIS. MANY. PAGES to get it! :)

I really liked the idea of the book, it just got rather drawn out for me.  I can understand why it's "a classic", however, as it's one of those that crawls into the mind and hangs around to be pondered later.

4 comments:

  1. Well, you.....effectively made me not want to read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckle. That's probably a good choice on your part. If it had been 200-300 pages, it would have been worth the read. I think people had more time to read tomes back then--kinda like they had more time to digest Dickens-style sentences!

      Delete
  2. Blech. I'm glad you read it so that I don't have to. That is how this works, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh, yes, sometimes I read them and then try to persuade you to read what I read; other times I read so I can save you the time. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!