Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I've Gone to Find Myself

Some seasons of life are complicated.  I think most of us would agree that being a teenager qualifies as one of those seasons.  For some reason, even as those of us past that age easily realize that figuring out who you are and what you are going to do with your life is an ongoing journey, some teenagers (probably those who have perfectionist tendencies) feel a burden to figure it all out and NOW.

My 16-year-old son has recently been sharing a quote he gets a kick out of mocking: 
"I've gone to find myself.  If I get back before I return, please keep me here."
This is irony at its finest as I'm striving for patience (and frequently failing) while walking with him through this season of his introspection and self-criticism. 

I love this quote Laura shared on her Outnumbered Mom blog and need to keep it for further reference and instruction:
“Unless introspection is accompanied…by an equal passion for the good life, it all too easily degenerates into a spineless, narcissistic fascination with our own sin and weakness.”
--W.H. Auden
There is some serious wisdom to ponder--and act upon--today.

1 comment:

  1. One of our college-age daughters is now a psychology major... plenty of temptation for healthy introspection to turn to narcissistic fascination with self... good heavens:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!