Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Wilbur and Friends

We came up with FOURTEEN names for baby pigs. Our gilt (which is what you call a female pig until she has a second litter of piglets--then she is called a sow) had piglets yesterday. We were expecting six or seven baby pigs, but she had fourteen.

We've bought feeder pigs a couple times, when they weigh around 50 pounds, and fed them out to butcher. But last year we kept one of the gilts because Alan wanted to try breeding her and starting with pigs from birth. That's just who he is, you know--always trying something different. So we bought a boar (or daddy pig, as we told the little ones) in August and three months, three weeks, and three days later (how would you like THAT pregnancy term, ladies?!) we have baby pigs.
We had so much fun watching part of the birth process and seeing the little cuties root around and find their food. Destry pronounced them "the cutest things he has ever seen."
They really are very cute. And she is being such a good mama. We've heard stories about mean mommas who are aggressive to humans, or lay on their babies, or even eat their babies. So far, she is being a perfect mama, she's careful how she lays down, and she barely turns her head to look at us when we come in to quietly observe her and her little sweeties.
Two of the piglets are significantly smaller than their brothers and sisters. They seem to be doing very well, but she has only 12 teats and 14 babies. We are bringing these two piglets in the house part of the time to make sure they're getting enough to eat.

According to my book (hey, how else do you expect me to come alongside my husband in this endeavor?!) 60% of runts die. I'm hoping that doesn't happen here or we'll have some sad kiddos learning another life lesson. Meanwhile, we're loving on them and feeding them and trying to keep them warm.
Easton and Kiana think this is absolutely wonderful, of course. Easton is quite the nurturer, and he has dubbed the two runts 'Scamper' and 'Snowflake' off one of his favorite movies--about penguins!!!!

We're thinking to name the rest of the piglets after famous pigs in literature. You get extra points if you can tell me what books the names come from! (I know, some blogs have giveaways, but all I have is points--big deal, hmmm?)
  1. Wilbur
  2. Pinky
  3. Napoleon
  4. Snowball
  5. Gub-Gub
  6. Oliver
  7. Snuggle Piggy (although we're just calling him Snuggle, but in the book he is called 'Snuggle Piggy')
  8. Positive Pig
  9. Lester
  10. Freddy
  11. Babe
  12. Olivia
Here is a clip of the piggies when they are just minutes old. We'll be having lots of fun around here the next few days!

12 comments:

  1. Couldn't handle the noise of the video :)

    maybe we'll have to have a field trip on Friday....can you bring the runts and we'll meet half way? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought I could possibly envy the pig but that pregnancy term is amazing! =D

    They ARE cute! And I like your names - with a special nod to Napoleon
    Snowball? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh! Hampshire, the Oreo pigs!

    I don't usually comment, but I had to on this post!

    Our family used to raise pigs for a living. After having over a hundred sows on the place, I can definitely say that you are so fortunate to have such a wonderful mother! Ours tended to be a bit cranky :)

    One thing I really miss from not having pigs is the unique smell of a newborn piglet and the softness of their skin. Mmmm... I can almost smell them from here. There is nothing quite like it!

    Tosha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tosha--how very fun to hear from you! We're feeling blessed to have a good mama, too! It's funny you mentioned the smell--we've been sniffing them too! :) Did their squeals bring back some memories too?? Thanks for commenting--I'm sure my pathetic little bit of 'book knowledge' was entertaining. giggle

    Carrie--chuckle back at ya! :)

    Shayla--they're quiet now--content, I guess. Kiana wanted to call Adi on 'the real phone' today to invite her over--Easton chimed in that yes, you all could come to our house for Thanksgiving!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ironically your "pathetic little bit of 'book knowledge'" comes from an all-time favorite book of mine and a must-have for any home in the country. Hurray for Carla Emery and the Encyclopedia of Country Living!

    Yes, the squeals brought back memories. When Dad would have my brother and I out there "working pigs" I often wished for something to soften the ear-splitting noise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I watched 27 seconds of your video and had to turn it off. The only thing about the farm I miss is having space from my children to run for hours to play. Don't miss the pigs, poop, cows, or chores. Now just a city girl who wants a little extra running space for my kiddos! Love you. Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Shonya
    I enjoyed your video! First time for everything! The only thing I missed in the video was------ your outfit!! Couldn't resist!
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our children would love that! They think they are really cute. Me, well, I'm not quite so sure how much I'd like having pigs. But what a great learning experience -- for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marcy--ha, ha, you've spent a lot more time with pigs than I--guess you're entitled to be tired of it! chuckle

    Dianna--now I know what to get you for a gift--a matching outfit so we can be twins!!! LOL

    Amber--sounds like your family needs to make a trip north for a field trip. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We'd love that -- maybe when it's a bit warmer and no snow? Will have to be after the first of the year at least b/c John is living and breathing Zechariah right now as much as possible, lol, and that will probably continue until the end of the year. How fast do piglets grow up?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!