Friday, December 2, 2011

Math's Sanctifying Properties


When I first started homeschooling more than ten years ago, I heard that math is frequently the weakest area in home educated students. Oh, my shameful pride! I thought that wouldn't be the weak area in our program (I was sure it would be science).

You see, math was pretty easy for me. I actually liked it. But being a good student of math is not the same as being a good TEACHER of math.

This week, math has been demonstrating its sanctifying properties in *my* heart. It is teaching me patience, humility, and attempting to teach me self-control (we won't talk about the torn magazine cover).

I actually think factoring polynomials is fun. It's a fun challenge: Solve 21w(squared, don't know how to make that) - 41w + 10 = 0. So you list the factors of 21 (21 and 1, 7 and 3) along with the factors of 10 (1 and 10, 2 and 5) and you determine which combination will give you a -41 in the middle. There's something crazy in the way my brain works--I just see it.
(It's rather like the bizarre way my brain works when I play Bunco with friends. Bunco, you may already know, is a totally mindless and mind-numbing game in which you roll three dice and try to get a certain number. The first round you and your partner try to get more ones than the other pair, the second round you try to get more twos, etc. It's really about getting together with friends, eating yummy food, and leaving the kiddos home with daddy for a night. But sometimes I roll the dice and I see that even though we're on round five and I got a two, a three and a one--so my turn should be over--well, I could add the two and three and multiply by one and THAT would be a five! Or I could multiply the two and three and subtract one and THAT would be a five! And one of these days I am going to find someone to play it with me this way just once. If you get the number by manipulating the numbers on the dice you roll and use all three dice, now THAT should be a Bunco and worth 21 points. But I digress. . .)
I wonder now if it's about the way my brain works, or if I just had better teachers than my son has had. Because he doesn't see it. (and in case you missed it, *I* am his teacher. sigh)

Now, admittedly he used to be very good at math. I actually think this is part of his problem. Math has always been easy for him and he has never had to work at it. And I've let him be lazy. I always thought it was dumb to have to show all my work when I did half of it in my head anyway, so I didn't make him show all those steps. Now he needs to work at it, and he needs to show his steps and he doesn't want to do either. Yes, math has sanctifying properties for both of us.

He started Algebra in Math U See last year and got through lesson 21 of 35. It was a struggle, but he got a low B. I wanted him to have a strong foundation in Algebra and regretted letting him take it at the age of 13, so I decided this year he would do Algebra in a different curriculum and we chose the Life of Fred. Ironically, we started factoring polynomials this week, which was lesson 21 of MUS. And we're butting heads again.

I'm glad it's Friday and we don't have to do math again for a couple days. But what should we do as we approach a "second semester"? Should we go back to MUS and finish *that* curriculum, starting back with factoring polynomials (because MUS actually does a better job explaining why you do what you do and has video instruction)?? Or should we continue on with Life of Fred?

Or maybe I should order Saxon and a Dive cd. . .or Teaching Textbooks. . .or hire a tutor. . .

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm. My question....Does he have to be great at Math and like it??? I couldn't even tell you what polynomial means! Does it matter in everyday life??? I don't know, it seems like you might need to step back a bit and put it into perspective. I just asked Sheldon if he knew what your were talking about and he said, "I don't know, does it have something to do with Math?" Deep breath sister! This just might not be his thing.....nor mine! ugh!!! You are a great teacher. Don't doubt yourself or rip up anymore magazines!!!! Love you! Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to the teacher and the student. I don't have as much experience as you do, but Teaching Textbooks has been a blessing in particular for one of my kids who struggles a little in math and needed to back up and reinforce some things. That child is also a visual and auditory learner when it comes to math, so TT is great in that regard. TT has also worked well for my average math student who enjoys computers, and equally well for my very advanced math kiddo ~ who is zipping through TT and loving it. Hope you find the right fit for your student. For us, right now, it's TT. But, check back with me in a semester and I may have changed our plan completely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya, Marc! I struggle with educational philosophies all the time. I am a product of a liberal arts education myself and am drawn to the idea of finding and teaching to strengths (the whole idea of a fish thinking he's a failure because he can't fly when he was made to swim). But my liberal arts education pushes for "well-roundedness". sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 15 yo ds has always struggled with math. He is currently doing Algebra and just in the last few weeks has had some major breakthroughs. He is determined to conquer it! I personally despise math, but recently have found some of the algebra to be fun. It's something I thought would never happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Math is sanctifying. HAHA! That's what it will be for ME!

    Actually, thankfully Daddy is a math whiz and takes on the math responsibilities because...well.....it's not exactly my strong point!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Math can be a struggle! Definitely! I've found that *I* most like Saxon and the kids mostly dislike ANY Math, so we're just sticking with Saxon (and DIVE for higher levels) and getting through it.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Usually Art gets pushed aside here too. I like How to Teach Art to Children because we've been able to pick it up at anytime and the projects can be thrown together pretty quickly (with basic art supplies like construction paper, glue, scissors, and tempera) by me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Twila Anderson also used to be a stellar math tutor...just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, math. I think it's funny Math is one of those things you either see or you don't. The crappy thing is that unlike music and sports, which I think also fall into that category, math skills are emphasized in our society. I for example love Math, it's the solidity, the definite right and wrong that appeal to me. Numbers make sense you can always count on them to act as predicted, I love that. However, I have NO (zip, zilch, ZERO) musical or athletic ability. In a way it doesn't seem fair that I wasn't forced to learn to play sports or play and instrument adequately.
    Sorry, this in no way helps you with your problem I was just musing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brenna--thanks for that testimony! I thought about switching to TT last year and even had the kids take placement tests. They scored incredibly well, to the point of skipping levels, which made me think "what we're doing (MUS)is obviously working" so I didn't switch! lol, decisions, decisions!

    Mary--thanks for sharing that. I thought being a year older would help too, and it has, but. . .

    Carrie--:) but keep in mind that just b/c your husband is good at math doesn't mean he will be a good teacher of math! lol

    Jenn--oooh, good tip! :)

    Corin--chuckle, well, I guess I should be grateful Destry is gifted both musically and athletically and perhaps STOP BEING SUCH A PERFECTIONIST and let the math go! :) Oh, and I"m right there with you--love the *dependability* of math! Numbers are rational, objective, they always work and come out the same. Order is good! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!