I've got my joy back.
The last few months have not been easy or comfortable. I was thinking the other night that I would compare this season of my life to rock climbing, or at least how I imagine rock climbing to be.
A cliff has been before me and I set upward in obedience. The way is rocky, filled with obstacles to climb over and weak ledges to avoid. Yet I know I am safe, for my Father has me in a harness and is the One on the other end of the rope. He has gone before me and provided each foothold. All I have to do is trust Him and continue on. So I've continued, learning trust, perseverance and endurance. One step at a time, seeing the footholds He just keeps providing and trustingly placing my foot here, then there.
Yet something has been lacking. It's one thing to continue on in obedience and perseverance; it's quite another to consider it a joy. Last week the sun broke out around me. I was still on that cliff, that rock face, but I felt the sunshine on my back and on my face. In my heart. Or had it been there all along and my eyes were closed, my focus closed to its warmth as I concentrated on just getting through?
This week I rest inside a little cavern within that Rock. He spread a table before me and anointed my head with oil. My cup overflows.
My study of James reminded me that joy is a choice. God is its source, obedience provides opportunity, but it is left up to me to consider it joy--to count it all JOY.
I love it! It's a wonderful thing to feel that joy again!
ReplyDeleteThis is lovely, Shonya. I'm glad you felt the sun on your back this week!
ReplyDeleteStill climbing up the rocks over here but - or SO - this post was quite timely. In all things count it joy. Today was a series of unfortunate events and I didn't, um, exactly count them all joy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the words!
I have no real comment just wanted to say good for you.
ReplyDelete