This is one of those things no one tells you is going to happen to you as a parent. I find it very challenging to meet the needs and interests of my children. On the one hand, it's difficult to discern their talents and gifts so you can "train up a child in the way *he* (or she) should go". Then if you do manage to glean a direction to pursue, you have to find the proper resources. Which teacher is going to be best? Who is most qualified? Who will be encouraging and challenging at the same time? Who will be able to build up your child, both in their specific area of expertise and as a person? Who will support and edify your child in his/her spiritual walk? How will you work opportunities into your schedule? And, oh yes, how much will it cost?
When a child takes a path that is drastically different from that of his parents, I think it's even more scary. My one experience with a musical instrument involves playing only one hand at a time on the piano (treble or bass, can't do both at the same time!). Alan has messed around with a few instruments and has both a good ear and a good voice, but has never pursued music anywhere close to Destry's interest. Suffice it to say, we have *no clue* what we're doing. We don't know what he needs, we don't have any contacts or networking to provide great opportunities, we can't help him if he struggles at home with a section of a piece of music. I just learned last week that all four strings need to be the same brand and some are of a "tinny" (and thus undesirable) quality--or tone--or something like that! (I learned this because his A-string was getting, ummm, frayed, I guess, and while at a local music store, I just picked one up. He could hear the difference and it drove him crazy, and then when he played for a prospective teacher, the teacher immediately picked up on it. Whoops! Note to self: buy a whole set of strings of the same brand--and a quality brand at that!)
So, as soon as we moved, I inquired at the local music store about potential violin instructors. The first teacher we met with said Destry was beyond what she usually taught and she recommended a nearby academy of performing arts and participation in a youth symphony. What a blessing to immediately meet someone who has the network we are lacking and knew where to point us! When we met with the first teacher at the academy, he was very encouraging and kind and did a great job drawing Destry out (who can be rather taciturn--like his dad, not like me, obviously!). At the end of our time, however, he suggested that Destry work with another teacher there who he thought would possess more of the skills Destry would need to be challenged and grow to his potential as a musician. I was quite impressed at his humility and obvious concern to do what would be best for Destry. He said that if for any reason that didn't work out, he would be more than glad to take Destry as a student, he just recommended the other instructor.
Long story (not so) short, the third prospective teacher is the one! He said he is excited to work with Destry and I'm hoping and praying it will be a good fit. Destry *likes* the second teacher better, but can see that he will be able to learn a lot from this teacher. His teacher, John, is very focused and thorough. I get the impression that his attitude is that a rendition of a piece can always be improved. While I'm sure that's true (that's my philosophy with writing--not blogging, but "for-real-writing"--revise, revise, revise), I also hope Destry doesn't get discouraged as John seems to always have a suggestion to improve the playing of a piece. We'll see how it goes for the next few months, but I'm anticipating Destry will learn a great deal.
![]() |
| (phone picture, sorry!) |
In the typical way that God works, He has taken my fears and concerns and solved them in bigger ways than I ever could have imagined. Not only has He provided a path to private violin instruction, but He provided the symphony opportunity and there are a couple other opportunities on the horizon that would never have occurred to me. But to top it all off, Destry was even offered a scholarship which provides a portion of his private lessons and sponsors his *full symphony fee*! I never would have even dreamed this!
When will I learn that the Lord loves our children even more than we do? He will provide their needs. He will make a way when we have no clue what to do. And He answers prayers--He gives better gifts than what we even know to ask for.

OH HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!! That is an AWESOME story of God's provision.
ReplyDeleteAnother great story of His faithfulness and love. And loved seeing him play the other night. pretty amazing!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for him to have this opportunity! His eyes had a special shine the other day when he was telling me about it...almost as good as farming huh??? :)
ReplyDeleteYay! I loved my years in youth orchestra--it is a great place to stretch and grow and meet other kids who love music too! I'm so happy for both of you!
ReplyDelete(And actually, don't feel too bad about the strings. There are many, many different brands out there, partly because people have so many different opinions about how their instrument should sound, and partly because every instrument is different. It can take some experimenting to find what works best both for the instrument and the player. It's pretty personal. Not only that, but I know people who do like to customize their strings, and use a mixture of brands/types for each string. Me, I like to buy a set because it's simpler, but some people really like to experiment...)
Thanks, Karen, we'll chalk it up to an experiment! lol
DeleteCongratulations to Destry! So happy for him (and you)!
ReplyDelete