Friday, March 8, 2013

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Every once in a while I stumble across a book that is enjoyable to read, sucks me into the plot, and gives me lots to ponder.  The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards was one such book.  It simply begs to be discussed, so I'm rounding up a few fellow moms around town to read it and discuss it with me later this month, but that's a little off the subject.  (I just had to throw that in for Carrie who has called me out on my tendency to want everyone else to read what I'm reading so I can talk about it with them!)

The general plot of the book revolves around the consequences of Dr. David Henry's decision to secretly dispose of his daughter who was born with Down Sydrome while telling his wife that she had been stillborn but her twin brother was born alive and healthy.  (Don't worry, his nurse takes the little girl and disappears with her to raise her as her own.)  It's quite well-written and the growth and development of the characters makes me feel like I know them--better than they know one another, as a matter of fact.


I'm going to have so much fun discussing this book with my new friends.  I love thinking about the choices we make in our lives, the paths those choices take us on, and how our lives might have been different had we made different choices.  I think the theme of secrets and how they lead to more secrets and walls between loved ones will be interesting to delve into.  I'm sure we'll really dig into the sanctity of life and who decides what makes life worth living as the book not only addresses people with special needs but also perceived hopelessness and flirtation with ending one's own life.  The role our faith plays in our lives, the recognition of shared pain, marriage, redeeming the time, standing up for what we believe in. . .The Memory Keeper's Daughter provides opportunity to discuss all this and more.

I will note that there are some "mature" subjects in this book, but don't stop reading there--they are handled tastefully.  There is mention of extramarital indiscretions, but no details and drug experimentation, but the book exposes the vanity of these actions.  Really, even though the book is not of the "christian genre", it is one of those books that aptly illustrates the emptiness of a life lived without hope.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this one (I got it at a library book sale for a quarter--insert happy dance).  I may have to read it again before our little group meets to discuss it. 

8 comments:

  1. This book was a best seller when I was working at the bookstore, and for some reason that now eludes me I decided to be stubborn and not read it. I am now re-thinking that decision. You seem to have that effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! You should read it and come down for our discussion--it's not THAT far!

      May I also comment that it's nice to see "eludes" and "effect" used correctly? :)

      Delete
  2. :D

    Ok, ok...

    Well. I heard wonderful things about this book when it first came out. However, I heard it was wonderful from people whose reading choices I didn't particularly care for. I can't remember if I ever gave this book a go or not. I remember I THOUGHT about it several times. But if you loved it, whether I have or have not, I might have to go for it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goody! Are you going to join in to read and discuss it with me too????!!!!!! :D

      Please note the reference to extramarital affairs, but as I said, the author didn't get into the sordid details (the most explicit scene referred to a pile of clothing). I found their existence thought-provoking as well in the vein of the emptiness prevalent throughout the book. I think it was a good example of how people are seeking something and try to find it in so many places, not realizing the True Source of fulfillment.

      Yet another excuse to meet halfway and chat. . . chuckle

      Delete
  3. I think I skimmed this book once (I do that sometimes with "modern novels" I don't think I'll like ;-) ), but your review makes me want to give it a thorough read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it and it gave me lots to think about. My favorite lesson from it was the warning to be fully engaged in our lives as they are happening. Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing that, but that I'm surviving from day to day. Then I look back at pictures of my kiddos from two or three years ago and wonder where the time went and if I fully appreciated each moment.

      Delete
  4. I have read the book...and to let you know that...there is a movie based on the book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read it! You need to read The Kitchen House.....by the lady that wrote it :) (can't remember...sry)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!