Friday, March 1, 2013

"We Are United" Children's Musical

Life should slow down a little now that the performance of the children's musical is over.  With the incredible assistance of Briana, I directed the musical "We Are United" for about 35 children in the homeschool group, including Easton and Kiana.
All the participants jammed into one shot
Briana was much better at remembering all the words and choreography to the songs than I was and I'm not sure I could have done it without her this year.  Destry was also a great help as he played the chords on the piano for vocal warm ups, led the kids in fun rhythm exercises, handled the sound equipment, and generally served as my gopher.  Briana and Destry have been in similar musicals I've directed in the past and I love that they had yet another opportunity to learn to serve and "give back" to others.
The story of this plot was centered around a game show (rather like the Survivor series) in which contestants are on a tropical island and each are proudly certain that their talents will guarantee their win.  Pictured on the right are the game show hosts and on the left are the six contestants.
As the show progresses, members of the Bible council (pictured above) recite Scripture teaching that all parts of the body are needed, gifts are given for the good of the body, and the importance of being united in Jesus Christ until the contestants finally learn to join forces and successfully complete the challenges.  It's really quite a clever little show and the songs are catchy and fun.

I was really happy with the way four of the homeschooling moms came together to help with the set, costumes, and props.  I think the set turned out so amazing!  Here was the little hut for the Bible council (made from a patio umbrella and a roof thatched out of paper bags!).
 
And I've never seen cuter palm trees in my life!  But the details are what makes it, with the little monkeys and snakes and frogs and such finishing out the set.  Very talented ladies I have to work with!

Being the director, it's really hard to get pictures of my own kids.  I was too busy making a fool of myself sitting in the front row mouthing the words of the songs and miming the choreography for the youngest kiddos to think to grab my camera.  You can see them a little bit here way in the back.  Easton is over on the left side wearing his monkey outfit and Kiana is over to the right, the shortest one in the production with her bright orange skirt and pink cowboy boots.
It was a really great group of kids to work with.  Everyone is already looking forward to doing another musical next year! 
I was tickled with the group's generosity, too.  They gave me a $100 Amazon gift certificate as a thank you gift with which I have already purchased Lit:  A Christian Guide to Reading Books when it was on sale for a mere 99 cents.  I still have $99.01 to spend!

7 comments:

  1. Way to go! What a great accomplishment...you should be proud. I am new to your blog and I was hoping you'd consider adding this to my end of the week link up, Its a Wrap. And, yes, being the director means very few pictures of your own kiddos. -Savannah www.hammocktracks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze us Shonya! Nice job directing and putting this all together for a new group. You are never fearful of new challenges and I admire that! Sheldon loved watching you direct and we all loved the musical. The kids really got into it and especially liked the lost sheep part:) Sorry I'm so far behind on commenting on your blog. I always try to read but have been bad about leaving a comment. I always love seeing what you are up to each week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you to encourage me! I'm so glad your children enjoyed the program.

      Delete
  3. This looks just GREAT! I love group family efforts like this...we've had many over the years.

    Get some much needed rest now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!