It was one of those moments.
I sat reading Life at the Bottom (a fascinating book) while Destry finished his violin lesson when the 'ping' of the elevator announced the arrival of the next two violin students with their mother. The older brother, approximately 8-9 years old, immediately began chanting at the top of his lungs "NOISY, NOISY, NOISY, nung, nung, nung." I kept my head down but raised my eyebrows and looked out of the top of my eyes to see what was going on.
(By the way, when I recited the sing-songy "NOISY" to Destry and asked how I could describe it, he told me it was an inverted sixth. Because you all know exactly what it sounds like now, right? chuckle Or if the "do-ti" going down the scale is familiar to you, that might help. Now go ahead, sing the word "noisy" like this, really loudly and obnoxiously, so you can better understand what was going on in the hallway of this school of performing arts.)
The mother took a deep breath then *yelled* "You need to be quiet!"
"NOISY, NOISY, NOISY, nung, nung, nung," the chant continued unabated.
The mother's response?
"You need to stop. . .or. . .or. . .the director will come up and talk to you!"
Seriously?! My eyebrows were now reaching my hairline. There was no longer any pretense of reading my book. I'm sure you can just guess what I was thinking. =D (This will be fun--venture a guess in the comments and we'll see who comes the closest! giggle)
Meanwhile, little brother (about 6) was attempting to do backward somersaults down the hallway. Mama said "You need to stop doing that."
"Why?" asked the child belligerently as he rolled backwards.
"Oh. . .well. . .I guess there's no reason why," she answered. "Go ahead and get some exercise."
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That was for you, Kristy! ha)
Now, don't get me wrong here. My kiddos are far from perfect and I have my fair share of moments when I'm at my wit's end, wondering what to do with them. On the one hand, I felt compassion for this overwhelmed fellow mother. But on the other hand, I wanted to give her a good shake. Alas, too many people today make these same mistakes.
I wanted to tell her "You are the mother. That means YOU are the authority."
My guess is that she had cautioned the boys not to be noisy as the elevator reached the floor. With willful disobedience, that little boy deliberately started his strange "noisy" chant. The first problem, of course, is that the history between the two had taught the little boy that he could stage this rebellion. If she had properly established her authority in the past, he would have known better than to even try. But I digress.
One thing that stood out to me was her empty threat. Don't do that. Kids (my kids, anyway) aren't dummies and they will push those empty threats. Secondly, why involve the director? Does he somehow have more authority than the mother? The fact is, he DOES NOT. Aside from how embarrassing it would be to go get the director (ummm, excuse me, my kid is being a brat and won't obey me, could you please come and take care of it--shudder), what is the director supposed to *do*? Oh yes, TALK to him. (eye roll) But I hear people doing this all the time. Why don't we parents understand that if we don't teach children to respect *us* as the authority, then our children will not respect other authority figures--teachers, bosses, policemen?
This brings us to the somersaults. Agreed, there may be no reason he can't do somersaults down the hallway. But if you told him not to do it, THAT is the reason. And if he argues (for that's what the belligerent why was doing) and continues doing it, there is another reason. Why should he respect her authority if his arguing results in getting what he wants? Understanding dawns as to why the older brother staged his "noisy" rebellion.
I had visited with this mother on a previous day as I waited for Destry. She shared her frustration at getting her sons to practice and asked me how we got Destry to practice. While he now is self-motivated and responsible for his own practice, he has been playing since he was six, so we have experienced several years when it was our responsibility to, ahem, "encourage" practice. I didn't tell her "we are the parents and we told him to practice, so he practiced", but after seeing this week's display, I rather wish I would have introduced this idea to her. Instead, I shared how we made charts and put stickers when he practiced and after he had practiced the time the teacher requested every week for a month, he turned the sheet in for a reward. Sometimes he invited a friend over to play for a couple hours, other times he and daddy went to the student union building to play video games together for an hour or so, sometimes he had a specific (small) toy he wanted that we allowed him to 'earn' with practice. These ideas worked wonderfully for us so I was glad to share them.
She wasn't impressed. "That wouldn't work for us," she said. "They have video game systems and play them a lot already. And we've tried rewarding them with toys--you know, a big toy, like $30 toy for a recital."
So, in summary, these boys have every indulgence handed to them so there is no incentive for them to work hard or persevere instead of being lazy. They have no respect for authority and instead respond with whining, arguing, and rebellion.
It sounds alarmingly similar to attitudes toward entitlements and the worldview summarized in the book I was reading, Life at the Bottom.
Maybe next time you see her parenting will come up again (as I'm sure she's very frustrated with her children) and you can give her some insight...if you can stand to be near her and her children!
ReplyDeleteIt's not so much that it "bothers" me to be around them, I just sometimes am amazed that people live like that. It seems so miserable to me. And it was crazy how much what was unfolding before my eyes was like a living example of what I was reading! Bizarre
DeleteYou could be dead on here. (I don't know I wasn't there) But there may also be the possibility that they are dealing with issues that you are unaware of. The way I read it, it sounds like that boy may have a problem with loud noises. Maybe he's autistic. I don't know that it's fair to assume from your limited encounters with them that the kids or the parents are just lazy and irresponsible. I know there are times when I'm sure people around me think I'm a horrible parent. Church springs to mind. I like to think that overall I'm a good parent, but I'm not sure. It's a possibility that if you were to encounter me and my kids without knowing us that I would seem to you exactly like the parent you are describing here.
ReplyDeleteNo, Corin, I've known children with autism, and there is a big difference between autism and disobedience. This was definitely a case of the latter (besides which we all know that parents are quick to make excuses for their child's behavior and if he had any "legitimate excuse", she would have announced it, chuckle). Unfortunately, however, I think you are right in that our culture tends to make excuses and label children as autistic or ADD/ADHD, etc. with increasing frequency rather than addressing the core issues.
DeleteAnother thought, Corin. Since this post was an observation of ineffective parenting techniques and their correlation to a cultural worldview, I want to highlight the thought that even if he *did* have autism (which I'm persuaded he didn't) the following would not be recommended as effecting parenting strategies: 1) yell at your child to stop making noises, 2) threaten your child with empty threats, 3) invoke the supposed authority of an absent person rather than remaining the calm person in control, or 4) rescind your own direction when the child challenges it.
DeleteI should have been more clear, autism is just the example that came to mind. Lots of kids have problems that are not immediately obvious to a people close to the child, let alone a casual observer. And no, people don't always want to announce they're children's problems to the world. I'm not saying that this mom was doing a great job in this situation, but I know that I yell when I shouldn't and I sometime let the kids get away with what they shouldn't. Other then making myself look like a bad mom, my point is just to say that you may not have a full grasp of their situation and maybe we should cut people a little slack. It's not making excuses for someone to show them a little grace and compassion.
DeleteAll I can think about is how miserable this family's home life must be. These boys are sabotaging their family's happiness, but have no idea because their parents don't do anything about it. The parents are unhappy because they have these disobedient and disrespectful boys; the kids are unhappy because they don't have the boundaries children crave- and that's without even going into the spoiled, materialistic aspect of this situation. This just makes me sad.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Kristy, it seems miserable. That's why I said I had compassion for this fellow mother and my observations of things I wished I could point out to her were to *help* her. How liberating to be able to be the authority and expect obedience from children and *enjoy* them. And it scares me a little to look around and imagine the snowball effect ahead of us as parents continue to believe the lie that they can't expect children to respect their authority.
DeleteI think it interesting that you point out that it doesn't bother you to be around such disobedience, but that you wonder how they can live with it.
ReplyDeleteI can't stand being around it AND I can't fathom how they can live with it. (I could stand to exhibit some grace. Clearly.)
It IS miserable for them.
chuckle, well, Carrie, I maybe should have clarified, lest you think better of me than you ought. It doesn't bother me when it doesn't affect me--you know, when it's not my problem and not my responsibility. How bad is that?!
DeleteSometimes, I think that God gives us opportunities like that not just so we say something to those parents (more then likely that would not have been appreciated!) but rather as a special gift to us. I mean that God provided you a quiet moment and you are close enough to Him that you could clearly see the difference in your Biblical parenting as compared to the way the 'world' is trying to parent. It wasn't that you weren't bothered by the disobedience. It just was that God was reaffirming you with it so the annoying part wasn't the main thing for you...that mother is miserable and you are not.
DeleteMaybe...
Or maybe you have a few kids at home and you had some quiet time to read so you weren't going to let it bother you! :)
Thanks for sharing Carrie and Shonya.
Yes, Laura, that is an interesting way to put it. I have to admit it *used* to bother me, as in drove me crazy (as I assumed my sister meant above when she said something about me being able to stand being around them), when kids misbehaved(and I've never understood how people can stand to watch Super Nanny). Now it doesn't bother me so much in *that* way. It does bother me, as in make me sad for the family dynamics and concerned for the future both for those children and for how our culture will be affected.
DeleteIt definitely bothers me to be around disobedient children OR/AND parents who do nothing but yell at them. You have to 1st demand obedience at home & then you can "expect" obedience when you are out in public (beings it's so difficult to be able to "safely" discipline your children in public.) What does God expect of His children? Obedience - just like we should expect of our children. Children will love and respect their parents if the parents correct their children and demand obedience. My - this world would be a much better place if parents would do this!
ReplyDeleteMom