We've always read stacks and stacks of picture books, but have just started reading chapter books to them in the last few months and I want to be more diligent in always having a chapter book going. Kiana calls these books "ones that you put a bookmark in" and the children nightly clamor for "just one more chapter, one more chapter!"
I would imagine everyone knows the storyline as Wilbur the pig, the runt of the litter, is loved and nourished by Fern until he's growing quite nicely. When he learns he is likely being fattened for the slaughter, his salvation comes from an unlikely source, Charlotte the spider, who astonishes humans with the unexplainable appearance of flattering words stitched into her web above Wilbur's stall.
I love the vocabulary in this book. White commonly uses words that today's authors simply don't employ when writing children's books. In the current climate of "dumbing down our kids", modern authors write down to children, using words they already know rather than challenging and educating them. White is especially skilled at including a parenthetical definition so that readers can decipher the meaning of a word in the context of the story. Words including untenable, sedentary, gullible, versatile, distinguish, ascended, detected, languishing, trickled, gnawed, garrulous, provender, writing, idiosyncrasy, delectable. . .these are just a few of the rich words that bring the characters to life and make Charlotte's Web the classic it is.
As my five year old just asked me "has my new book arrived yet?" and my two year old told me "I'm finished with my sucker" I contemplated their use of these more sophisticated word choices over "is my new book here" and "I'm done". I'm so thankful for books introducing the richness of our English vocabulary to my children!
My favorite passage this reading was the description of Templeton the rat.
The rat had no morals, no conscience, no scruples, no consideration, no decency, no milk of rodent kindness, no compunctions, no higher feeling, no friendliness, no anything. He would kill a gosling if he could get away with it--the goose knew that. Everybody knew it. (46)What a great commentary on how our character determines our reputation!
This book was a hit with our family and I couldn't resist picking up another copy I found at a thrift store for one of you. To win, simply leave a comment and a way for me to contact you in the comment section below before next Thursday.
I'm linking up for the first time with Amy as we're incorporating more reading of chapter books with our "littles". If you have any recommendations of this caliber, please do share them with me.


We've read this one together and loved it. :) But don't enter us, since we've already got a copy.
ReplyDeleteOh Lorri, you forgot to share a recommendation! I'm sure you have some great books to remind me to share with my kiddos.
DeleteFUN! I have a copy already as well so I'll just leave a note here to say that I loved reading your post. :) And the giveaway is fun.
DeleteAs for suggestions...well, I have several. I bet they'd like A Mouse Called Wolf if you haven't read that one yet.
I love defining chapter books as books "you put a bookmark in." heh
A Mouse Called Wolf. . .writing it down! :)
DeleteOooh, I NEED a copy since we've misplaced my 30 year old hardback! :-(
ReplyDeleteI love this post and am so glad you participated this week in RAT!
Charlotte's Web has long been a favorite around here (of course), and I love how the vocabulary in it would make startling appearances in my girls' conversation. Here's an example from many years ago:
http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2009/04/22/hes-appealing-to-your-stomach-wilbur/
We've listened to and loved the audiobook which is read by E.B. White himself. It is wonderful.
Yay! Love your "bookish thought" category--too cute! I think every home needs a copy of Charlotte's Web, so I'm very excited to share a copy, although this one IS paperback. ;)
DeleteI know some farm boys who would love that book! Enter me!
ReplyDelete~Deb
Yes, indeed, they would love it!! :)
DeleteWe’re reading Charlotte’s Web here also! (I wanted to comment but no need to enter me. :))
ReplyDeleteIsn't it just GREAT??!!
DeleteShonya,
ReplyDeleteHere's a link to a post I wrote a while back about chapter books for young children:
http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2011/06/30/read-aloud-thursday-chapter-books-for-the-youngest-listeners/
Oh, and I remembered later and checked myself: I DO have a pb copy of Charlotte's Web that a friend recently gave me when she cleaned out her teenage daughter's books (sniff, sniff). You can take my name out of the drawing.
I'm so glad you joined in this week!
We have been reading that book here too:) Nathan loves it!
ReplyDeleteDo you own a copy, Marc? Or borrowing it from a library?
DeleteYou will be shocked, but we actually own it:)
DeleteAutumn is reading the boys the Little House series right now, and they are loving it. They are always mentioning something about what they did, or how they did it. Tonight it was killing the blackbirds and eating the biggest ones. Laura's family thought it was better than chicken!!!!
ReplyDelete~Deb
I love that you mention White's sophisticated word choices. That is the one thing that has always stuck out for me about Charlotte's Web. White trusts his readers and it works. I have my own copy of the book, so I don't need to be entered into the giveaway.
ReplyDeleteNo need to enter me in the contest. Just wanted to say that this was always a favorite read-aloud in our family. The boys were always patient with me when I cried through the Charlotte's final scene. Hooray for lovely language!
ReplyDeleteShonya, you've just inspired me to read this to my high school sophomores. I'm sure it's been awhile since they heard it, it has wonderful lessons, and it contains a vocab word they had last week -- compunction!
ReplyDeleteOne of those books I remember us all loving as tears streamed down our faces...
CONGRATS DEB!! You won my extra copy! :)
ReplyDelete