Friday, January 25, 2013

Zack's Alligator Study (and Giveaway)

I've had a lot of fun with the little ones studying alligators the last couple weeks in our unit based on the delightful book, Zack's Alligator by Shirley Mozelle.
The neatest part of the study has definitely been the opportunity for the kids to "water" their own alligator and watch it grow.  Our alligator, which is made of two different polymers--one which loves water and one that "fears" water--absorbs water so it will grow.
 They loved tracing the alligator on graph paper each day and measuring how many "units" long it was.  I was actually a little surprised at the drastic growth as it started at 15 units and more than doubled its size to 39 units.
I was also impressed at their ingenuity in climbing up to the kitchen counter to check on their alligator who was soaking in a container of water.  If the first box of toys doesn't add enough height, just add the toolbox, right?
For science we learned about alligators by reading All About Alligators by Jim Arnosky and Alligators and Crocodiles by David Knight. We also made an alligator facts book and sang songs with alligator facts set to the tune of "Twinkle Little Star".

Our geography study included learning about the Everglades and Florida.  We read The Everglades by Cheryl Morgan and Panther:  Shadow of the Swamp by Jonathan London.
For art they painted pictures of alligators and for phonics we played an alligator "short a" game.  Just for fun they watched The Rescuers Down Under (because they remembered there were alligators or crocodiles in that movie).
It was such a fun and relaxing study, we want you to learn about Zack's Alligator too!  Simply leave a comment by Tuesday and you'll be entered in a drawing to win your own "growing gator".

**Briana drew the name of:  Carrie from Reading to Know!! 

5 comments:

  1. My girls would get a kick out of the alligator! (Sounds like a great week!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You area such a fun homeschool Mom! Looks like a great time! Sign me up! I know some boys who would love it!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love projects with letter sounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I think I am LATE to the party. But if I'm not, I would LOVE to be entered! Our boys would go nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!