Monday, March 25, 2013

Life-Changing Week

Destry described his week at TeenPact as life-changing.  It was his first TeenPact experience and Briana's third.  Both came home bubbling over with enthusiasm, dreams and goals, and new friendships.

TeenPact's mission is to train youth to understand the political process, value their liberty, defend their Christian faith and engage the culture at a time in their lives when, typically, they do not care about such things.


The truth is, both Destry and his friend Jarret (pictured above) were pretty much dragged to this government and leadership four-day camp.  They were appalled that they had to do several homework assignments and help pay for the cost.  They were further appalled at the idea of wearing a tie every single day!


I had considered not having my kids go this year, but after much prayer and discussion with my husband, we made a late decision that Destry needed to go this year for reasons that I'll not go into here.  I just love it when the Lord works things out like this.  Not only did they learn a great deal about government, but they also grew in their relationships with other teenagers who love the Lord and are seeking Him.  A more sober-minded and humble son came home to me Thursday than the one I dropped off on Monday.


Both of my teens enjoyed honors this week.  Briana ran for the position of governor and did not win, but she was recognized as the highest-scoring alumnus in homework, tests and quizzes.  Destry was elected as one of the three senators and as such gave a speech at the graduation ceremony.  I was, of course, quite proud of them both for these accomplishments.


What I was most proud of, however, took place during the speech of another of the elected senators.  He asked Destry to stand and then commended him for being a person who always has an encouraging word and knows just the right thing to say when you need it.

I'm curious to see how this experience continues to affect their daily lives and future.  I record these details not to brag on them (well, not too much anyway! ha!) but mostly so they won't forget these moments and the impact TeenPact has had on them.  I record them now, anticipating one day looking back on their experience and seeing how it shaped their choices.

7 comments:

  1. I got the goose bumps when I read about the other teen giving his speech and recognizing Destry. So cool. As a parent it must feel good to know your kids are making great choices and have great character when you are not looking! You should brag on your kids! They are good kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ia can NOT begin to tell you how proud I am of Destry and Briana! Nor can I tell you how much I miss all of you! Thank you for letting me read your blog you continue to inspire me!!!
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to have you reading and it's great to hear from you, Dianna! I miss you too friend. Aren't those kids just growing up so much though?!

      Delete
  3. I love hearing about the impact Teen Pact has had for your kids. I'd love to see my kids go someday. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a really neat experience for us, Sharon. Your older kids would love it in a couple years I think!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!