I was reminded of this conversation when reading "Hinds' Feet on High Places" in the last couple weeks (I'm way behind on blogging--I have about three books I want to review! smile). Much-Afraid was similar to my friend. When the traveling was nearly impossible (by human standards), she was able to focus on her Shepherd and trust in Him to get her through. But once the traveling was easier. . .let's face it. She grew impatient. She wanted to hurry up and get to the destination. She wondered what the point was of just continuing on in this sunshine. Dare we suggest she . . .got bored??
It had been easier to accept the hard path and to be patient when the sea was grey and dull than now when the sun shone and everything else around looked bright and happy and satisfied. She put her hand in the Shepherd's and said sorrowfully, "You are quite right. I have been thinking that you are allowing me to follow this path too long and that you were forgetting your promise." (104)
She began to realize that, cowardly though she was, there was something in her which responded with a surge of excitement to the tests and difficulties of the way better than to easier and duller circumstances. It was true that fear sent a dreadful shuddering thrill through her, but nevertheless it was a thrill, and she found herself realizing with astonishment that even the dizzy precipice had been more to her liking than this dreary plodding on and on through the bewildering mist. In some way the dangers of the storm had stimulated her; now there was nothing but tameness, just a trudge, trudge forward, day after day, able to see nothing except for white, clinging mist which hung about the mountains without a gleam of sunshine breaking through. (157)
Isn't that an interesting thought to consider? As I've continued thinking about it,however, I think someone else might have a different perspective. Someone else might have a pretty 'cushy' life, professing to be a follower of Christ, but when the storm hits. . . her faith is challenged, she questions 'why me?', she doubts God's love for her and perhaps turns completely from Him.
Sometimes we are tempted to love God's BLESSINGS more than we LOVE GOD.
Have you ever thought about that? Is your love for Him defined by what He does for you? This is such a huge thought to me. I want my love to be for God, not just for the blessings He showers on me; not just because the church tells me to love Him, but to have a passionate love for my Creator, my Savior, just because of Who He Is.
If your material things were removed; if your children were removed; if your spouse was removed; if your freedom to gather with fellow Christians was removed. . .would you love Him then?
When life is busy: the job is demanding, the kids have a million activities, your church has a ministry going on nearly every day, the dishes/laundry/dirt are threatening to take over your house, and you're determined not to sacrifice your "me time" to make the crazy schedule work. . .do you love Him then? Because, for me, this is the time that sounds like the "dreary plodding on through the bewildering mist", the "trudge, trudge forward, day after day, able to see nothing" that Much-Afraid referenced in her journey. This is the time, when I get so caught up in the "cares of this world". . . that I lose sight of the big picture. I can't see that my life is just a vapor, a fading flower, withering grass--and I don't have time to waste just coasting along.
How about you? When is your faith the strongest? And looking back over your christian walk, what can you see going on when your faith is the weakest?
I love this Shonya...sigh. I feel so close to God when He's challenging me, making me think so outside the box that it hurts. I agree though, when I get caught up in everyday life and things are just happy happy, joy joy....I find I'm often not growing. I love the times of peace, but I love the growing...awe inspiring...painful sometimes...growing.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm going to link to this...it awesome!
I was thinking of your friend saying she is closer to God through His Word and prayer when there is a crisis situation, realizing that we are not in control and can't do it on our own.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if we wouldn't need to 'wait for a life crisis' if we were actively praying for others who are currently in a 'life crisis.' That maybe we could walk in this type of close fellowship with God by bearing one another's burdens and not waiting for our own.
Looking outside myself I can currently see many, many, opportunities to pray for others. I wonder how often I choose not to. I wonder how much quicker I could grow in Christ if I looked outside of my mountain top seasons and actively took on the burden of prayer for another in the valley.
Just made me think, it's something I really want to be practicing.
I've often shared with you that God has really been speaking to me about the power of prayer.