We've had this book for years and have always enjoyed it, but I am starting to realize it is one of only a few books we own that have African American children in the pictures. It's not something I consciously thought about until the last couple years, but I need to get more books with pictures of children who look more like my little girls. I like good books, however--I don't just want a token 'African American book'. I'm looking for good storylines, engaging characters, and well-done illustrations. Do you have any suggestions?
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
The Snowy Day
Now that it is warming up and we have more mud than snow, I'll post of few pictures of some winter fun! We really had quite a bit of snow there for awhile. The kids love to play in it!
Kiana liked climbing on the tall piles our friend pushed for us when clearing the drive so I would stop getting stuck.
Kiana is also pretty good at cajoling big brother and sister into giving her rides.
Easton loves to ride his trike--it doesn't matter whether it's in the rocks, grass, mud or snow!
Obviously, I borrowed my title from the title of this classic award-winning book.
We've had this book for years and have always enjoyed it, but I am starting to realize it is one of only a few books we own that have African American children in the pictures. It's not something I consciously thought about until the last couple years, but I need to get more books with pictures of children who look more like my little girls. I like good books, however--I don't just want a token 'African American book'. I'm looking for good storylines, engaging characters, and well-done illustrations. Do you have any suggestions?
We've had this book for years and have always enjoyed it, but I am starting to realize it is one of only a few books we own that have African American children in the pictures. It's not something I consciously thought about until the last couple years, but I need to get more books with pictures of children who look more like my little girls. I like good books, however--I don't just want a token 'African American book'. I'm looking for good storylines, engaging characters, and well-done illustrations. Do you have any suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know we do have some...let me think on it :). I'll find out where they wondered off to after I get over this cold :).
ReplyDeleteI've noticed at the library they have some titles of our favorite stories with African American covers...I'll pay more attention.
ReplyDeleteThere's a grammatical error in Snowy Day my friend Amanda pointed out...she can't read the book b/c of it....can you find it????? (In all your spare time)
i must say that is an awesome trike!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI shall keep my eyes open at school...not something I've ever put much mind towards--not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing!
ReplyDeleteso glad that snow is gone! not to fond of the mud though....
ReplyDeleteDo you have the book Corduroy? http://www.amazon.com/Corduroy-40th-Anniversary-Don-Freeman/dp/0670063363/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268403531&sr=8-1 Amazon link. The girl in it is African American and it's a very cute story, one of Levi's favorites.
ReplyDelete