Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Joy of Music

Destry has been studying violin for six years now. Sometimes I have wondered if it would last. He has learned perseverance, responsibility, and time management in addition to the many things he has learned musically. But something I am seeing now is a joy in music. I love seeing this in him. He is starting to play 'for fun' (not just to practice) and he is picking out tunes such as from the Fiddler on the Roof and other little melodies. Here is a sample of him playing the fiddle part from Casting Crown's song "Praise You With the Dance." I love that he just picked up his violin to 'see if he could play it.'

If you don't know the original, you can listen to it at about 2:47 on this video.


We have been blessed with his teacher, Karen, this year. I am amazed at how much he has grown under her instruction. I think she has been influential in his growing appreciation of music as well as his overall improvement. He has a great deal of respect for her, and she is patient with him, yet challenges him.

He has just started taking piano lessons too. He was messing around on his keyboard, and we have been torn for some time about getting him lessons because we didn't want to "take the fun out of it." But as he has played around on it more and more, picking out more melodies (including an AC/DC song--thanks Dad!), we decided to take the step and enlist a guide. He has had only two lessons, and I sat on a couch reading a book during the second lesson. I literally had tears in my eyes after Mrs. Twila let him sightread a song once, took the music away, then told him to play it again. He did so, then she told him to play it again in the key of F. He did so, then she told him to play it again in the key of A Minor. I feel so blessed--this is exactly what I wanted for him! He's having fun and he's being challenged at the same time.

9 comments:

  1. Twila from Lancaster? She was my instructor and he will flourish under her...I love and respect her so much! Enjoy the growing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jenn, you recommended her, remember? hee, hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! he's so good!!!!!!! way to go!! this is so cool!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's doing so well--you have eery reason to be proud of him. :) I love when they start thinking, "Hey, I bet I could do that!"...it's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!!!! he sounded just as good as the person did in the song. that is awesome that he wants to take piano lessons now. what's next??? drums?? you have a very talented son, shonya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Bree, what are you wishing on me?! LOL Seriously, he would LOVE to play drums--and I think he would be good at it. But more lessons, and the expense of another instrument. . .um, I think he'll be fine for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Sounds great! How exciting that his ear can hear the melody and play it for himself. Music is a wonderful gift to give.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!